Menu
Sammie1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Having a move around

Hi does anyone know how I can extend my cable wire or a cable I can buy to extend only about 3meters
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Having a move around

Plenty of ready made extensions on Amazon. There are posts on here warning against doing this yourself and suggesting that a VM engineer needs to vusit to move the equipment for you. I don't know if there is a problem extending the cable yourself, maybe someone with more knowledge will come along and give a definitive answer.

All Replies
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Plenty of ready made extensions on Amazon. There are posts on here warning against doing this yourself and suggesting that a VM engineer needs to vusit to move the equipment for you. I don't know if there is a problem extending the cable yourself, maybe someone with more knowledge will come along and give a definitive answer.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The VM equipment is sensitive to the level of signal entering it from the rest of the network, as you can see from the myriad of posts on the subject, where the user has signal level issues.

This signal level is tuned based on the length of cable which was present at installation, and changing the length will change the signal level.

Additionally, sub-standard cables & connections will introduce noise back onto the network, affecting not just you, but every house around you connected to the same street cabinet. If your modification of VM's installation is found to be causing the fault, you'll be the one liable for the cost.

You'd be best leaving the box in its current location and instead purchasing a long HDMI lead to bridge the gap, or paying VM to move it.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:
The VM equipment is sensitive to the level of signal entering it from the rest of the network, as you can see from the myriad of posts on the subject, where the user has signal level issues.

This signal level is tuned based on the length of cable which was present at installation, and changing the length will change the signal level.

Additionally, sub-standard cables & connections will introduce noise back onto the network, affecting not just you, but every house around you connected to the same street cabinet. If your modification of VM's installation is found to be causing the fault, you'll be the one liable for the cost.

You'd be best leaving the box in its current location and instead purchasing a long HDMI lead to bridge the gap, or paying VM to move it.

Thanks @PrinterElf

Can you explain what length they tune the signal to and how much tolerance there might be? The reason I ask is that the cable running to my Tivo is 5m longer than the one running to my Hub and 4m longer than the one running to my V+ HD box. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's unique to each installation - dependent on distance from the street cabinet, how much cable, of what age, etc...

Are there any attenuators, boosters, or other items on the connections?

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:
It's unique to each installation - dependent on distance from the street cabinet, how much cable, of what age, etc...

Are there any attenuators, boosters, or other items on the connections?

Distanc from cabinet to house approximately 100 metres, no attenuators or boosters obvious. 3 way splitter at the entry point then different length cables running to TiVos and Hub

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Then it may be such that the additional length of the internal cabling versus the >100m run makes little enough difference to the signal level that it doesn't matter too much.

Contrast that with my installation of less than 20m from the street cabinet, where adding 5m internally will likely make quite a difference.