Menu
futureechos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hard Disk Failing

My Hard disk has been showing all signs of gradually failing over the last few months.

recorded shows hang and break up, tivo restarts. Unknown errors when playing recording materials. Sound and picture breakup on recorded shows.

More and more on about 50% of recorded items.

Tivo restarts when it fails to read blocks.

I've been in IT for 25 years so I'm 100% convinced the issue is with the HD itself.

I can: 

Call an engineer and get a replacement (losing all recordings?)

Run SpinRite and fix the issues, and do a block level copy to a new disk (myself - breaking tivo warranty?)

Any other tips - the old v1 tivo's had a force recover mode which would force an fsck (disk check) and try and fix issues...

Any tips?

thanks,

FE

0 Kudos
futureechos
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hard disk on my TiVo on its way out

Hi, my TiVo hangs stutters and restarts regularly, and is showing all signs of a failing hard disk.

Can you diagnose remotely or run a disk check (fsck) to see how bad it is?

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
futureechos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hard disk on my TiVo on its way out

Posted this from mobile and looks like it's in the wrong area. Apologies. Question directed and VM support.

Tivo is a few years old, FYI

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hard Disk Failing

Given your IT experience, you will appreciate that the equipment is rented from Virgin Media and your maintenance contract is with them and you will have to report your issue and let your supplier decide what action is required.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Futureechos, 

Thank you for coming in and posting your comment, welcome back to the Community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to read about the hard drive, I've been looking into the TiVo and you're right, the hard drive is experiencing some issues and would need a replacement.

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a fab day

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hard Disk Failing

Hi futureechps

I'm sorry to learn about the trouble you're experiencing with your set top box at the moment, I've been able to locate your account and can see you've taken the time to report this and arrange for an engineer.

I'd love to hear how it goes and we'll be here if there's anything you need assistance with moving forward.

Sorry again for the inconvenience, we're looking forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark, 

Thank you for previously sharing your post with the community Smiley Happy

I'm just popping in to check up on how everything went and that everything's working as it should now. 

Keep in touch and feel free to take a peek at the other boards too! 

All the best Smiley Happy

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
futureechos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for checking yes the unit was replaced. Obviously lost all the recording and series links which is a pain, but what can you do.

New hardware working fine though.

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi futureechos,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that your recordings we're all lost and couldn't be recovered.  You can copy over your Series Links, Wishlists and Thumbs ratings over.  If you're not already aware of the process and how it's done, you can find the instructions here on how to do this.

If you need any assistance don't hesitate to give us a shout.  We're here to help if you need us.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
futureechos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I appreciate the effort to help, however this info would have been useful BEFORE my old TiVo was taken offsite a week ago.

Now the old TiVo has gone there is no way for me to do this.

Perhaps the procedures can change to advise customers to do this when engineers are booked when a hardware swap is highly likely.

I took pictures of the season pass list on my phone as I figured I'd lose them all so the process you describe would have saved me while.

Take note everyone else!

Thanks,
FE.
0 Kudos