Menu
jif007
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

HDMI over Cat 5 with Tivo Box

I have a TIVO box in a media cabinet and am trying to link it with  my TV which is in the lounge. Both the media cabinet and the TV wall have Cat-5 Network points and I have bought a HDMI over Cat-5 set of baluns (with IR pass-through)  to connect the two. I have successfully managed to get a HD picture across the network and this part of the set-up is working fine. However, the supplied IR transmitters and receivers that come with the baluns do not work. Can anyone help me with this? It is very frustrating as having got a clear picture I simply cannot use the remote to change channels - this defeats the purpose of having the virgin box in the media cabinet out of the lounge, if you cant change the channels!! Someone has told me that the Tivo boxes use a different frequency for IR which means this cannot be done. Can anyone else suggest a HDMI over Cat-5 Solution that DOES definitely work with IR control over the remotes? Or better still can anyone suggest an IR solution that will work with the baluns I have purchased. The link for the baluns is Ex-Pro® AV-Pro HDBaseT Extender for HDMI 4Kx2K Ultra HD Over Single Cat5e/Cat6 /Cat7 with bidirectional IR Control [70m]

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: HDMI over Cat 5 with Tivo Box

I'm using a standard IR transmitter with the TiVo with no problems, I believe some of the older Virgin cable boxes used a different frequency of IR but I don't think the TiVo does.

As an alternative, if you have a smart phone or tablet and can connect the TiVo to your home network then the TV Anywhere app will control the TiVo and replicate the remote functions.

0 Kudos
jif007
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Many thanks for your help, can you let me know which IR Transmitter / Receiver it is that you are using? Do you know if they will plug into the baluns that I have bought from Ex-Pro?

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The one I'm using is this one:

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/main/store/app/product/KE-IR-1010/Keene-IR-Distribution-Amp-Kit-(inc.-S...

No idea if it will work with what you've got though. The IR receiver and emitters plug into the main unit with standard headphone jacks.

0 Kudos
reddom
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have also used a standard hdmi over cat5 balun with the Tivo.  It does not use any special IR, and should work with any balun.  What I would say however is that my Tivo is extremely sensitive as to the location of the transmitter.  It has to be in just the right position at just the correct angle, or it will not control the tivo.  It took a lot of trial and error moving the ir transmitter about in front of the Tivo to make it work properly.  Once in the right spot its perfect.

RD

0 Kudos