Menu
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Constantly Keep Losing Sound on TiVo Box/YouTube App Issues

Hi everyone, I have experienced this issue before with a Samsung 500GB TiVo Box that I used to have, but now all of a sudden it has started on my 1TB Samsung TiVo Box and I have no idea why.

I just want to point out that there are no issues with my HDMI cable as I have upgraded my original one that I got from Virgin and it was also happening on that.

I'm also aware that changing the audio setting from Dolby Digital to PCM can help, but this is not the case at the moment.

I will try to explain a bit more what exactly is happening.

The issue seems to occur very often when I access the YouTube app through the TiVo box. Sometimes the sound will go altogether before I play any content from YouTube, or some content will play and then the sound will go. Having said that, YouTube through my TiVo Box is not working well at all at  the moment. Content fails to play properly as they just keep freezing due to buffering. I'm sure Virgin Media are aware of this issue.

Anyway once the sound goes on YouTube, when I return back to normal TiVo channels, the sound is also gone. Now before when this happening on YouTube, returning back to normal TV would make the sound come back on. Not anymore !

Also, sometimes the sound is absent when just using the TiVo box normally without accessing YouTube.

The only way to get it back is to restart the TiVo Box.

Just to add I did have a technician visit on the 30/05/14. The technician was very good and set the power levels as close to optimal as he could and checked all the connections/cabinet.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Started with Bell Cablemedia in the early 90's and now with Virgin Media. How time flies...
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Constantly Keep Losing Sound on TiVo Box/YouTube App Issues

Hey soul1

I'm really sorry to hear about these problems, I've located your account and run a few tests on the line for you.

When looking at the TiVo box we're seeing some errors with it, the best option to take in this circumstance would be to arrange for another engineer to come and take a look with the previous information in mind. 

I've sent you a PM with some information regarding this, if you could let me know when you've received the PM that would be great.

Speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Just to add that the YouTube app is very slow and non responsive at times.
Started with Bell Cablemedia in the early 90's and now with Virgin Media. How time flies...
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey soul1

I'm really sorry to hear about these problems, I've located your account and run a few tests on the line for you.

When looking at the TiVo box we're seeing some errors with it, the best option to take in this circumstance would be to arrange for another engineer to come and take a look with the previous information in mind. 

I've sent you a PM with some information regarding this, if you could let me know when you've received the PM that would be great.

Speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig_D, thanks for your reply and help as always. Sent a reply to your pm. Will keep an eye on my inbox re tech visit options.

Cheers Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just to give a quick update. Had a senior technician visit this morning. Steven who is the technician that attended did an excellent job. He was very helpful, answered all my questions, adjusted the power levels and put in some new cable. All in all a job well done. Please could my comments be passed onto the relevant department.
I have also discovered something quite interesting with regards to the YouTube sound issue. Will explain further :-
There is a particular music video on YouTube that I like to watch. Now previously the video used to play fine both on my PC and through the YouTube app on the TiVo Box. Recently started to notice that every time I play that particular video through the YouTube app on the TiVo Box there is no sound. Then when I return back to normal TV, there is no sound either and the TiVo Box has to be rebooted to get the sound back.
Now this morning after the technician visit, I tried to play the same video through the TiVo Box and again exactly the same thing happened.
Then I tried to play the same video through my PC and discovered that the audio has been muted due to copyright issues.
That is fair enough as it happens to quite a bit of YouTube content anyway, but my question is if the video is muted through YouTube, then why does the sound completely go on the normal channels having played it ?
Hope this makes sense !

Thanks Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig_D will send you a link of the particular video that I'm talking about so it can be investigated further. Seems to me to be a HDMI issue somewhere. Hopefully though it can be investigated and sorted.
0 Kudos
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I was watching video's of the 2006 World Cup Semi Final; Italy vs Germany.  I watched a few videos then the sound disappeared.  I went back to live TV and the sound reappeared.  Then back to YouTube, and after a few videos the sound disappeared again.

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
0 Kudos
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lurgod, from what I've been told, both the YouTube buffering issue and sound loss is being looked into and will hopefully be resolved soon.
I have just tried to watch a video a few videos on YouTube wirelessly and I have to say that I had little success due to the constant buffering.
star-glenn
Settling in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi same for my tivo box haven't had sound now for three days could someone please check 

0 Kudos
Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I have some sound issues too. Occassionly if I record a programme, the 1st 5 minutes dont have sound sometimes. It's quite rare it happens like.

0 Kudos