Menu
Jools1963
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BBC iplayer buffering

I am having constant problems with BBC iplayer buffering every few minutes making viewing impossible. This has been ongoing for over a year!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC iplayer buffering

Hi Jools1963,

Thank you for getting back to us. I'm sorry that rebooting your TiVo hasn't fixed the iPlayer buffering problem you've been experiencing. 

I've just run remote testing to your TiVo and can see a problem with the box.

I'll send you a private message requesting more details so that I can get an engineer out to you. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jools1963,

I've arranged an appointment for you, as per my pm. I'll check back with you after this appointment to make sure everything's working for you.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jools1963,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you involved in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear you're having an issue when using the BBC iPlayer app on your TiVo®. 

Checking your account and box stats, things overall are looking good. There is a small performance issue in your area but it's not something that is causing that much of an effect. 

I can see the TiVo® has been on for a little while so try giving it a reboot to see if this helps Smiley Happy

Let us know if you continue to have an issue. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jools1963
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have rebooted and tried iplayer again. Exactly the same buffering immediately...settled for 5 minutes viewing then buffering again and then "something went wrong" message . Umpteenth time I just can't believe it's so clunky in this day and age. Any thoughts???
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jools1963,

Thank you for getting back to us. I'm sorry that rebooting your TiVo hasn't fixed the iPlayer buffering problem you've been experiencing. 

I've just run remote testing to your TiVo and can see a problem with the box.

I'll send you a private message requesting more details so that I can get an engineer out to you. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jools1963,

I've arranged an appointment for you, as per my pm. I'll check back with you after this appointment to make sure everything's working for you.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jools1963,

I've checked your account and can see that the engineer changed your TiVo. Is everything working for you now?

Please let me know.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Jools1963
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes it seems better now on iPlayer and was able to watch a whole programme with only one short stop for buffering which resolved itself quickly and carried on. Only issue I had was that I've lost all the recordings I'd saved on the old box!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jools1963,

Thanks for letting me know this is working for you now. I understand how frustrating it is to lose your recordings. You can copy the TiVo settings over, but not the recordings.

If your TiVo box has been swapped for a new one, you can copy your old TiVo settings over to your new TiVo. This needs to be done within 14 days of getting the new TiVo box, after that your original settings won’t be available. 

The settings you can copy are:
1. Series Links,
2. Thumb ratings
3. Auto record wishlists

Here’s how you do this:
1. Go to virginmedia.com/tvanywhere.
2. Select Manage My TiVo from the Virgin TV Anywhere menu.
3. Select Copy TiVo settings from the menu
4. Choose the TiVo box you’d like to copy the settings from.
5. Choose the TiVo box you’d like to copy the setting to.
6. Pick the settings you’d like to copy.

Please let me know how this goes for you if this is something that you'd like to try.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
tvaddict_528
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Along with others on here, I'm suffering the same issue with BBC iplayer but it's not just buffering, it's loss of picture. It only happens when I try to catch up with a newish drama or something. For example, tried to watch episode 2 of Top of the Lake: China Girl and couldn't get it to show the picture. The sound was fine and I watched the first episode no problem (except for the buffering) but this loss of picture is really frustrating especially when I went through all the recommended steps: i.e. switch off at mains, wait few seconds, reboot, go out of iplayer then back in etc etc. I've tried absolutely everything and nothing works! This has been going on intermittently for 6 months or more and it is only with some of the programmes on iplayer, not all.  The contrast is that I also have a different means of watching iplayer (NowTV box) and iplayer works beautifully on there. Trouble is I'm paying for a Tivo box through Virgin and I want to be able to access all the programmes available on that box. Anyway, rang Virgin today - said it's a technical issue and will be passed to technical staff who'll contact me again in 72 hours!! Hurrumph!

0 Kudos