Ask a question
Crafty
sjj1805

Superhub not enabling port forwarding for FTP

I recently upgraded my 10mbs system to the 30mbps system and of course this meant I replaced the modem/router with the new SuperHub.

So that I can access various files and keep notes on my computer whilst away from home, I have (previously) set up an IIS Web Server plus FTP server.

I have no problem accessing my web server (port 80) and also a back up web server on another computer (port 8080). However I cannot access the FTP Server (port 21).

I have checked using the Open Port Checker tool:

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Which shows that port 21 is closed - even though I have it set to forward (erm... like ports 80 & 8080 !!)

To double check it isnt an issue with the port request coming from the same computer on the same virgin media broadband line, I connected a laptop to an internet dongle to try but this still refused to connect to the FTP server - no problem connecting to my two web servers.

I can only deduce there is a problem with the superhub not forwarding ports other than 80 and 8080 unless anyone else has any solutions I can try.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

Re: Superhub not enabling port forwarding for FTP

try disabling the firewall on the superhub
Please use plain text.
Crafty
sjj1805

Tried that but didn't work.

Also tried placing the computer with the FTP server into the DMZ zone, still no luck.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
janski

Re: Superhub not enabling port forwarding at all

Just like everybody else does not matter how you set the unit up

it will not enable port forwarding

i have a camera setup the old moden no problems the super hub, it will respond to a ping but will not let the info in or out of ports.

I have tried all settings to get it sorted to no avial, it is as if the port blocking is enabled all the time !!!!!

Logmein.com will work and you can get into the computers on your network

if you use yougetsignal.com it just comes up with ports are closed.

COME ON VIRGIN

Is there going to be a hardware update to resolve this problem ???

janski

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
James_G

Hi sjj1805,

Could please reset the Superhub via the pin hole reset button and try setting the port forwarding again?

Let us know if this resolves the issue so we can replace the Superhub if necessary.

Regards,

James Gilbert

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
kwikbreaks

[ Edited ]

I had some issues using port 8000 for FTP - it wouldn't work on a 3G dongle but did on the local network using the external dyndns domain - I don't like leaving standard ports open and the useless thing won't do port translation but it works fine for me using port 21 together with PASV. I haven't tried without as some firewalls I need to traverse only work when using PASV.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
janski

There seams to be a lot of superhubs with faults

Are we all suspose to reboot them and try again to see if they work ???

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
tamla101

Re: Superhub not working (another)

hi i have just had my so called super hub at 30 meg   if you can call it that   i seen to be getting  slower speed than my old 20 meg  and  cant  forward any ports at all.  have  done the  restet  thingy   formated  pc and  still  not  good >  what  can i do next   while  i pay virgin a fee   for  a service  that is  not good  why  bring  the  hub out if it dont work  right ?????? never had a problem  with the old  router and moden should we all   go back  and  get a refund or just go to bt 

a reply  would be so nice  as i realy  feel like  chucking  this  thing out the  window

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
tamla101

dont we know it  lol  seems like we all got a bad deal 

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
FatalSaviour

Any update on this please guys?  Having just spent a fair amount of time today trying to troubleshoot why FTPing to localhost works, but not using the external IP (forwarding setup correctly), I'd also like to know when I can actually fully make use of the internet I'm paying for?

Please use plain text.