Settled in nicely II
GloucesterUser
Helpful Answer

Problem with Virgin Staverton? - PPTP VPN worked since October, broke last week, & routing issues.

Well, a colleague from work (who has Virgin's 50Mb broadband) and myself (also on 50Mb broadband) are no longer to connect our PPTP VPN's (to a static IP address on a 1Gbps fibre connection) since last week.

Both of us are connected to Virgin Media's Staverton site..

Another colleague from work (who has Virgin Media's 20Mb broadband) is still able to connect with no problems what-so-ever.

He is also connected to Virgin Media's Staverton site....

If we take our laptops and connect them to his broadband, our laptops connect to the VPN. If we take our laptops and connect them via a different broadband provider, our laptops connect to the VPN.

This must be something affecting the Staverton site (or routing into/out of it), yet unfortunately I haven't yet been able to call Virgin Media about it as I have been at work when their lines are open, and from what i've been reading, I have to wonder why they can't do email support!

Anybody else connected via the Staverton site?

This is a pretty serious problem for me, as I work in I.T. and need the VPN connection at unusual times of day, and simply cannot afford the extra expense of paying for an additional telephone line, and an additional broadband connection.

Unfortunately i'm tied into Virgin's contract for some time to come, but paying for the 50Mb service (top of the range in this area) I would've expected things like this to not be a problem.

Another strange symptom has been websites intermittently showing my WAN IP: address as changing rapidly, yet the IP: address shown on the WAN port of the router hasn't changed since October - and believe me, there are no spyware, malware, or viruses on the system i used to check it. A different router didn't resolve the issue either.

Part of me wonders if VirginMedia have made a change to the V-box that is making use of the ports used for VPN...

On "the net" since before "the web" existed.....
Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
dohsoft

Re: Problem with Virgin Staverton? - PPTP VPN worked since October, broke last week, & routing i

This is an interesting post for me. I am in Gloucester and assume I connect to Staverton (well it would make sense) and in the past week and a half I've not been able to connect to my work VPN. This had been working faultlessly for the last 18 months. If you have any joy getting this sorted out could you let me know?

Thanks,

Steve

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
GloucesterUser

Re: Problem with Virgin Staverton? - PPTP VPN worked since October, broke last week, & routing i

Luckily for me I can VPN in to another site, then VPN through that VPN Tunnel to my work VPN.

It's a pain but it does work, albeit at a much reduced speed due to vpn overheads.

I don't know if it's specifically caused by equipment on virgin's network, but the first difference in the routes (the 5th point on the route) is that the VPN that doesn't work routes through:

popl-bb-1b-as5-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.194]

the VPN that does work routes through:

glfd-bb-1b-so-100-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.172.130]

are you routing through either of those points?

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
dohsoft

I can connect to the VPN if I use a neighbour's wireless but that is far from ideal as you can imagine!

This is the part of the tracert output until it leaves the virginmedia network. It looks like I am going through the successful point you have:

1    10 ms     7 ms     7 ms  cpc9-stav14-2-0-gw.aztw.cable.virginmedia.com [77.98.144.1]
  2     6 ms     7 ms     9 ms  stav-geam-1a-ge121.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.243.89]
  3    11 ms    10 ms     8 ms  aztw-geam-1a-pc113.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.241.17]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5    10 ms    10 ms    11 ms  winn-bb-1a-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.175.157]
  6    13 ms    10 ms    11 ms  glfd-bb-1b-so-100-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.172.130]
  7    10 ms    11 ms    11 ms  glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.46]
I'm afraid networking is not my area of expertise, development yes but I'm one of those people who just expect the wires to work!
Steve

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
GloucesterUser

Where yours intitally routes this way:

1    10 ms     7 ms     7 ms  cpc9-stav14-2-0-gw.aztw.cable.virginmedia.com [77.98.144.1]

2     6 ms     7 ms     9 ms  stav-geam-1a-ge121.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.243.89]
3    11 ms    10 ms     8 ms  aztw-geam-1a-pc113.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.241.17]
4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
My working connection routes this way:

1     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  cpc9-stav14-2-0-gw.aztw.cable.virginmedia.com [77.98.144.1]    (same)

2    10 ms     8 ms     7 ms  stav-geam-1a-ge130.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.243.93]  (different)

3    10 ms    12 ms    16 ms  aztw-geam-1a-pc113.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.241.17] (same)

4     *        *        *     Request timed out. (Same?)

I have no way of telling whether or not point 2 on our routes is having an affect on success or failure, but weirdly, considering our 1st routing point is the same, it's weird how point 2 is different when my successful VPN route through points 5,6,7 are the same as yours....

5    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  winn-bb-1a-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.175.157]

6    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  glfd-bb-1b-so-100-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.172.130]

7    10 ms    11 ms    11 ms  glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.46]

some points beyond point 7 on my successful VPN route are:

8     *        *        *     Request timed out.

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10    17 ms    15 ms    46 ms  ae2-0.lon-001-score-2-re0.interoute.net [84.233.218.185]

Anyway, I have been informed by a colleague that VirginMedia Tech support will only respond to a thread that hasn't been replied to for 3 days, so i'm going to leave this thread alone for four days (as they still hadn't responded after an initial 72 hours) - I should probably ring them, but so far have been at work during the hours they are open....

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
noisey

Gloucester user

Sorry mate it seems as if you are suffering the same as me - I live in south Gloucester - Tuffley and my vpn stopped working about the 4/3/11 after a few years of no problems.

Our IT staff have had a few goes and have come to the conclusion that this is due to the virgin modem.

If I connect using a land line I can connect fine, if I use the wireless at our offices then it connects fine - it is just when I come home to work it has stiopped.

I hope Virgin are keeping an eye out as this is now 3 threads with similar issues.

Noisey

Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard III
Rose_R

Hi all,

Please can you retest this for me. If this still hasn't worked, could you please PM me your VPN IP, a full trace route to the VPN IP address and the port you are trying to connect through. Once I have enough examples, I will see if I can get this raised to our network teams for you.

Regards,

Rose Rafferty

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
GloucesterUser

PM Sent.

Curious how I can't ping work's router from my virgin broadband connection, yet can from friends' sky, aol, bt, enta.net connections..

Incidentally, I can't ping my virgin broadband connection from work, but can (intermittently) from friends' sky, aol, bt, enta.net connections...

also, when doing a pathping from work to home, at this point I get:

13     *        *     stav-geam-1a-v99.network.virginmedia.net [77.96.0.137]

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
GloucesterUser

That's interesting - which broadband package are you on?

My colleague with the working VPN connection lives in Tuffley, and has 20Mb virgin cable....

if you do a Tracert to your work vpn ip, do you have the following address somewhere in your tracert:

cpc9-stav14-2-0-gw.aztw.cable.virginmedia.com

Can you ping your work VPN IP ? (if this fails as well, but works on dial up, it's very unlikely to be your router - and much more likely to be Virgin's routing on their part of the network.)

Can you connect to different VPNs ? - I can with no problem....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

noisey wrote:

Gloucester user

Sorry mate it seems as if you are suffering the same as me - I live in south Gloucester - Tuffley and my vpn stopped working about the 4/3/11 after a few years of no problems.

Our IT staff have had a few goes and have come to the conclusion that this is due to the virgin modem.....

Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard III
Paul_B

Hi Gloucesteruser,

I have raised this to our network team to investigate under reference : F001552824

Regards.

Paul Buchanan
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.