Searching for something?
One to Watch
scotoma

IE8 unable to download : the connection with the server was reset

Hi

Just for note this one.

Yesterday and today I was getting the "unable to download the connection with the server was reset" when downloading files via Internet Explorer 8 both 32bit and 64bit.  Seems the superhub new firmware update is responsible in some way.  In a good way I hope.  I had/may still do wifi dropping connection issues and followed the advice in this forum to disable the superhub firewall features in the content filtering service section.

To get IE8 to download files I had to enable the superhub firewall features in the content filtering service section.  Changing this setting for me anyway would either allow or not allow IE8 to download files.  No other setting in the content filtering service section affected IE8 file download function.

This was tested using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html on different size files while enabling and disabling superhub firewall features.  All issues downloading from other sites have been resolved by enabling the superhub firewall features.

Just for note

scotoma

Please use plain text.
Wizard
nickp8

Re: IE8 unable to download : the connection with the server was reset

[ Edited ]

I would say that is just an issue with that site. I find leaving the firewall on causes more issues i.e. some sites load slow or not at all. Turn the firewall off they load in  a second.

Not had any issues downloading files from any site with the firewall off. I normally use a site with large files that can provide full speed to test dowloading files like microsofts site. Try the link below. Should download fine.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&dis...

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
scotoma

The MS downloaded with firewall on or off.  The Files of various sizes hosted on Majorgeeks, Rapidshare direct downloads via IE8, tucows and couple of others I was using last night do not download with the superhub firewall disabled.  Retested just the now.  Rapidshare manager was also dropping connections with the firewall disabled.

What if the firewall switch in my superhub setup is programmed opposite.  Joke.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Fred_Blogs

I've had the same issue with NETload, RapidShare and others for the past 24hrs.

Different machines, firewall (software versions on the machines not superhub) setups, browsers etc make no difference. Depending on the host the download either finishes immediately (no error) but the file is naturally incomplete or I get the "the connection to the server..." error.

I'm not aware that my SuperHub got a FW update but I'll certainly try switching the hardware firewall back on (currently off) and see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Fred_Blogs

Just flicked the SuperHubs firewall on and I can now download perfectly so that is definate confirmation of a fault from me. As I said, I don't kow the firmware version numbers so can't confirm that I receieved an upgrade but if changing a setting on the hub fixes it there is no doubt that the cause is the hubs configuration and as I could previously download ok with the firewall off, there must have been a change of some kind made to the device.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Fred_Blogs

For purposes of cofirmation - I have the R25 (V5.5.2R25) firmware.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
nickp8

[ Edited ]

This issue is due to the new firmware. To access some sites I need to have the firewall off but that means as above downloading files from some sources doesnt work

What a joke. Do they expect us to turn the firewall on and off. They fix one issue and create new ones.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
tdiboy

I've been suffereng exactly the same issue for the past few days and initially thought the laptop I was using was causing the problem.  Then I happened to be using another PC and the same "Connection with the server was reset"...I've just tried the suggestion of switching on the SuperHubs firewall on and it does indeed work.  I had this switched off as my DD-WRT based Linksys router takes care of that for me.

One interesting find is that I was able to download Firefox 4.0 from their FTP server via IE8 with no problem.  After installing FF4, I could download files fine so it is specifically an issue with IE8 as far as I can see...I'm not sure how it would be with IE9 but I haven't heard favourable things about it so haven't bothered trying it.

I hadn't noticed that the firmware had actually been rolled out!  What build were they running beforehand then?  From just glancing at it, it seems the same version but as I never made a note of it, it probably isn't.

I'm just waiting on the next release with the Modem Bridge feature that is sorely lacking in these SuperHubs.  I'm doing the old DMZ host trick with the DD-WRT router in the mean time.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
flax

i had same  problem would also  cut streaming  music from internet  radio stations  with firewall disabled

i  enabled the firewall and  can download and  listen to streaming  music

its  like the firewall is working the  opposite way  to what it should

try with firewall  enabled .. it seems to have worked for me

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Fredthe3rd

Got the same problem today and turning the firewall back on fixed the problem.

I just wish i hadn't spent ages working out why before reading this.

Another hour wasted for nothing

Please use plain text.