Ask a question
One to Watch
stvfirestarter

good speed but bad jitter

hi i play online fps and i have good speed but my jitter is so bad playing games is no longer possable is there any thing i could do to fix this issue i was going to switch to sky broadband but then i saw i was getting upgrade from 10mb to 20mb i now have been upgraded and the jitter is worse i have the new super hub in modem mode wired not wireless tryed all types of ethernet cables and no joy please give me a fix  and it seems to get realy bad round about tea time i know about caps and fair use etc. i do pingtest.net all times of day its never good i see lows of 10 and highs of 50+

thanks steve

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
doomguy

Re: good speed but bad jitter

exact same problem i have.  my speed is an almost constant 20/2.  no problems there whatsoever.

jitter though is terrible.

if i wait until 2am i can get maybe 10ms on average.  at peak time, the best i'll see is maybe 20 but it is usualy a lot higher than that.  ping times also climb quite a fair bit at peak time.

according to virgin media, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my connection and they do not consider the high jitter a problem.

if you like downloading loads of stuff and don't play games, virgin must be amazing.  if you play games, it is simply unusable. 

i recommend going elsewhere, i'm going to sky next week.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
boothy_2012

Go to set password
Restore factory defaults tick yes and apply.

Then log back in to the hub go to services tab and untick all boxes so the firewall is OFF.

Then click wireless settings and set the wireless to the following:

Wireless Mode: 145Mbps
Wireless Channel: 1 , 6 , 11 or 13

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
boothy_2012

sorry just read that your using modem mode, so the above probably wont help as its a tweak for the router part of the superhub and not the modem.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
smilerlisa

stvfirestarter, you have just described the exact same position that I find myself in, see here...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Net-problem-when-gaming/td-p/1175307...

My connection is great for downloading/streaming but for the last few weeks its been awful for gaming with jitter/packet loss and ping spikes.  I too have just been upgraded to the superhub which i hoped would fix the problem but if anything, the issues are now worse.  Ive already been through the motions on the phoneline and had an engineer out to the house who told me everything is ok, I showed him the problems I am having with online gaming and also the packet loss on virgins servers to which he said he could do nothing about.  I am curently in a position where I have cancelled all my VM services as I need a good gaming connection and since I cancelled, VM have been in contact to send another higher level engineer out to see the problems Im having in a hope that I wont cancel my contract.

I think the basic message im getting about these issues is that if you need a good connection for gaming, VM is no longer a viable option, If you want to DL/stream you may be ok.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
dan2k6

Hi Steve.

I also have the same issue as you, but have been told theres nothing that can be done. See here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Slow-speeds-and-Jitter/td-p/1180695

I am already looking into alternative providers, BT looking the most likely. I never had problems when I was on 10mb and rarely had any jitter, but since upgrading their speeds, they have got 10x worse.

Not to mention their customer service is awful.

I'm fear none of us posting the sameproblems here will get help and we will be forced elsewhere, because VM are to lazy to fix the issue. 

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
stvfirestarter

hi all thanks for your help i have not been back on because there was a problem with the broadband line that someother had reported and now i see that the line has an ok form virgin  it seems what ever they have done has made my ping + jitter see 300+ not good  i think its time to get an engi out for a look as the internet is no use to me the way it is as i only switch my computer on to see if its fixed why pay for the privalage only to see if i can use it.modem info.png please please can i have jimil fix it for me

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
stvfirestarter

tracert.png

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Nicola_C

[ Edited ]

Hi stvfirestarter,

I'm sorry your finding online gaming a problem. I have thoroughly checked your connection, all levels are ok. I have examined the historical data of your network segment and can see no issues, utilisation is very low for example. I understand it is not a busy time now but I have send 1000 large packet pings to your modem and cannot see slow return times or a large variation in times. The trace route that you have posted to be honest does not show a problem with the Virgin Media network. It is by design that the IP packets maybe queued and ping requests maybe regarded as low priority jobs by the routers. It looks like you maybe using a router? have you tried with a direct connection to the Super Hub?

Nicola_C
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
stvfirestarter

yes i have it connected to router but its not the router as i have done tests super hub  in modem mode to my pc good ethernet cable tried several its like my ping is on a yoyo pulsing along  with jitter but my speed is fine i have checked my cable all the way to the pit from my super hub my brother was an engineer with telewest and has looked over it and there are 3 of my friends in my area with the same issue you can send an engineer up and look at my problem as its really bad. on pingtest . net i get regular grade b or c which is no good for my use

thanks for your speedy reply nicola-c

stvfirestarter

Please use plain text.