Searching for something?
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
SeanCousins

Virgin Media Throttling

So i know the exact times of when im supposed to manage how much i download and upload etc between 10 am - 3pm and 4pm to 9 pm, I've known this for a long time and i've see the chart of how much i'm allowed to download/upload between these times. Yet it gets to half past 9 and i'm like okay time to do my own thing now with 15 mins I'm being throttled? Also i only got on the internet at 5 pm with breaks so there's no way i could have used 1.5 or 3 gb. Now when i start to download within 10 mins of download say 600 mb which is way under the limit why do i still get throttled? How fair is that? Also when i've been throttled say from 4 pm it's supposed to be 5 hours but yet i never get unthrottled till 1 am or longer? Why put up a policy/guideline you can't follow yourself?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

Re: Virgin Media Throttling

what are you downloading as if its p2p or newsgroup then that is managed until midnight.

How are you testing your speeds?
Please use plain text.
SeanCousins

The thing is i don't really download till im in bed and i only play games on steam or go on skype or watch youtube at a higher quality past 9?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

vm will be able to confrim if you are indeed being traffic managed. maybe your area is just busy past 9pm maybe everyone is waiting to start there overnight downloads
Please use plain text.
SeanCousins

No because whenever it happens i get unthrottled at 1 am granted this is the first time it's happened past 9 pm, i always do a test past 9 pm to make sure i'm alright

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hi SeanCousins,

We have two types of traffic management on our network:

- Standard traffic management - this applies to all traffic and runs daily from 10am to 3pm and then 4pm to 9pm on download traffic and 3pm - 8pm on upload traffic. These times apply to the broadband tier you subcribe to. If you trigger traffic management at 8.59pm then your connection will be managed for 5 hours until 01.59am the following morning despite this time being outside of standard traffic management hours.

- Next generation traffic management (traffic shaping) - this applies only to P2P and newsgroup traffic and runs daily from 5pm to midnight during weekdays and midday to midnight at weekends.

Without going into specifics I can see from our diagnostic tools that your connection is regularly traffic managed. On the last 2 occasions your connection was managed until the early hours of the following morning.

Regards,

Ray Miranda
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

Please use plain text.