Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
jjustme

Possible to have 2 modems in the same house?

Can I pay for two cable modem broadband services at the same address?

I currently have a whole package with tv phone and broadband (10mb) which is shared around the whole house.

And it is unusable, everyone is trying to download, and pages like google can barely be opened. Pings go through the roof even with my WNDR3700 having me a highest priority and everyone else at the lowest.

So I want to get a 50MB broadband connection, with no phone line. £33 for the first 3 months and £38 there after.

Is it possible for me to do this? If not, can I share my current 10mb over two modems atleast, I wouldnt even mind 5mb on each modem as long as its separate from the rest of the house.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Possible to have 2 modems in the same house?

hiya jjustme 

your're limited to just 1 cable modem they way the network works, the only way to have 2 broadband connections is 1 via the cable connection eg have this upgraded to 50mb service. 

and then have second broadband via ADSL i would check your postcode via http://www.samknows.com/old/broadband/checker2.php this will show what sort of speeds you'll be able to get. 

you can look over price plans via 

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wherever.html

hope this helps

Paultechy.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

It is not normally possible to have two Virgin residential service accounts in the same address. So you would not be able to have a Virgin National ADSL and a Virgin residential cable account.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
jjustme

Ok well are there any real no line rental adsl deals. The main reason i chose the £33 deal for 50mb is because it doesnt have line rental as i already have an account with them.

Most of the websites i find comparing deals with "no bt line" turn out to be untrue when i go on their website, virgin is the only one and they offer 50mb. This is more business for them! Why is this not possible?

Are there any other ways I can have a 50mb and another connection 10mb+ with no line rental.

Also if you find a deal, could you quote the final prices (incl line rental). Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
StefanH

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure forum-goers generosity extends to painstakingly searching out a deal for you. If your own Googling efforts have been unsuccessful, I imaging no 'no line rental' deal is available.

If you want an inexpensive second broadband line via ADSL, have a look at TalkTalk. They're amongst the cheapest even if you do have to factor in some line rental.

It may be cheaper in the long term for you to sort out your existing connection. It is possible to share a 10, 20 or 50Mb connection between a number of people without one person saturating the service to the detriment of others. What you will need is a better router. The WNDR3700 is good, but as you've discovered, it lacks the ability to properly prioritise traffic.

Much as they are over-priced, DrayTek's top-end routers will do the job nicely. The 2920n especially would be suitable. The 2820n would also serve the purpose but the 2920n is the latest model with gigabit wired networking and a more powerful CPU. You get a lot of control over bandwidth priorities and a whole heap of other features.

The price is a lot to swallow, with 2920n's going for not much under £200. Still cheaper than a 12, 18 or 24 month ADSL contract though.

Please use plain text.
jjustme

I know what you mean, I didn't mean as in people to go researching for me, but if they knew of any good adsl no line rental deals about they could direct me to them because people who have been around in the area a long time probably know the latest n greatest deals whereas newcomers like me will probably end up going with what they think is best, and find later that a better deal was about.

Has happened to me quite a few times, which is why I asked the question.

I just bought this WNDR3700 so I don't think i'll go down the draytek router however I was looking at the drayteks when I was deciding on a router to purchase.

And theres a prime example, I have just found that a draytek would better suit my needs but I have gone and purchased a WNDR3700.

Thanks for your help, ill probably be getting, with much regret, a sky 20mb connection where I only get  13mpbs for £21 even though I can upgrade my current package with virgin to 50mb for an extra 18.95.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

hiya 

well you can get virgin national without telephone line rental, since http://virgin.net/allyours/ there is two choices broadband with or without telephone line and looking at the contract eg http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wherever.html all the evil that is the legal part no bit about telephone line rental.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

paultechy wrote:

hiya 

well you can get virgin national without telephone line rental, since http://virgin.net/allyours/ there is two choices broadband with or without telephone line and looking at the contract eg http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wherever.html all the evil that is the legal part no bit about telephone line rental.

You still have to pay line rental for Virgin National ADSL, you just have the option of either paying BT or paying Virgin

As far as I'm aware there is no way to get any ADSL service in the UK without paying someone line rental

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
SynC

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reason for wanting 2 connections when you could just upgrade your current one and improve your setup.

If everything is set up correctly, you should be getting no ping problems unless people are running torrents, which spam your connection so much they do mess up your ping.

Keep torrents to overnight or when it won't affect other users in the house, cable every machine you can rather than using wireless, install a cabled (direct to router) wireless access point in another part of the house (if lots of connections on wireless are causing the spead problems, some can connect to the access point, in effect doubling your wireless bandwidth).

If you do that you should have no performance problems. If you still are, you have set something up wrong.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

SynC wrote:

If you do that you should have no performance problems. If you still are, you have set something up wrong.

More than likely - and when in doubt always blame the end user!?  ....but don't underestimate VM's capacity for "screwing up"....   or perhaps that "pun" should read "lack of capacity and screwing up"? :smileywink:

Even if the OP secures say a "business line" in parallel with residential service he could feasable still be hung on a congested cabinet and/or same CMTS/uBR? Hopefully he would then be on more than "best efforts minimum data rate with a faster support response time.  However we can't actually be sure what uBR he's on because he hasn't provided hostname-reverse DNS, nor traces, nor multiple d/l checks from VM Games file server, nor elementary CM stats/error logs etc etc?

Even upgrading his service without some basic checks (particularly if self-install) could leave him exactly in same position as he is now!  .....(+ few more pennies out-of-pocket) 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.