Searching for something?
One to Watch
jord1391

Ping spikes

Hi, im currently getting ping spikes on speedtest results and on all games which causes a bit of lag, was wondering what might be causing the ping spikes?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

Re: Ping spikes

Hi Please Select Your Modem/Router from the list below

AMbit 256 And Dlink

VM Hub VMDG280

VMNG300 (50mb) Modem

Superhub

and also click here to do a speed test

also can you tell us if your connection to the router is Ethernet or wireless

if your on wireless try to change the wireless channel (also try to download inSSIDer that will tell you what wireless channel isn’t being used or the least used)

and post all the results here makes it quicker at diagnosing the issue

also if using the AMbit 256 modem or the VMNG300 (50mb) Modem can you make sure you have removed the router and put the Ethernet lead straight into the modem and reboot the modem and computer

thanks

Thanks
I do not work for Virgin Media, All advice is given at your own risk. Im A Computer Tech/Network Engineer If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Helpful Answer. | Connection Problems Check Here | Forum changes | Blackburnnet | GamesUnited | How to Test Your Speed | Blackburnnet on Facebook | GamesUnited on Twitter | VM SmartCall App
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
PatrickF

Hi jord1391,

I've checked the connection and can see no problems currently. However, the connection has timed out 500+ times in the last 6 days. These may have occurred at the time of your post as the modem has now been online for over 6 days continuously without being rebooted. Can you confirm if you are still experiencing issues?

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jord1391

[ Edited ]

Still getting awful lag on games, unable to play games with the recoil. My ping is still constantly spiking aswell.

Not too sure what the problem is now as nothing seems to be fixing it.

Also getting insane choke, think the choke in games might be causing the problem.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jord1391

All ive been hearing is how people are having the same problem as me on virgin media.

Will there be a fix for it anytime soon? its like there's a delay to all game servers.

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
John_Hag

Hi jord1391,

I have just checked your connection and network segment. Although the upstream power is a little on the high side it is still within tolerance, and there do not appear to have been any network problems recently. If you are still experiencing difficulties then please re-post with the information described here taken at the time, together with traceroutes to bbc.co.uk (no WWW) and any other sites which are causing you problems.

We have seen Kaspersky and Avast! interfering with speeds so, if you are using either, please disable it when speed testing. Please also check that the power supply is 12Vac, 1.5A. A CAT 6 ethernet cable is also recommended.

If you are using speedtest.net to check your speeds then I suggest that you use the Paris server option as it is reputed to be more accurate/reliable than some of the other servers. You may also find that less heavily loaded sites (e.g. speedtest.magnet.ie or top10.com) give more accurate/reliable results. Speedtests should always be run from a single, ethernet connected PC, with no devices connected wirelessly.

Concurrently downloading multiple large files from multiple servers and adding the throughput will usually give a more accurate indication of actual download speeds than speed testing sites.

Regards,
John Haggerty
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords. Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jord1391

[ Edited ]

You guys said it was upstream before, came to fix it and it did go down for a bit then went back up again.

I don't think ive experienced something so bad, its mainly this one game that has been effected though.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1705507443.png

my speedtest result. don't know about cables, they are in a room that is locked at the moment.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jord1391

http://tinypic.com/r/suy69z/5
thats the bbc.co.uk ping test
Please use plain text.