Ask a question
Bright Spark
Peco

Moving home cancelling contract

After 6 years with Virgin as a happy customer I'm having to leave as Virgin do not supply TV to my new lease home address much to my disappointment. I called to cancel and have today received an email to say my final bill for cancelling the XL tv, 30 Mb broadband and phone line will be £190. As you can imagine I am gob smacked. I cannot afford to pay this fee. I would like to make it clear I do not want to leave Virgin Media and I intend to return to Virgin Media when we buy a house in 6 months time. Can anyone tell me where I stand with the cancellation charge?
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
ashbashwf6

Re: Moving home cancelling contract

If you have been with them 6 years you shouldnt be in contract with them unless you upgraded a package that is another 1 year contract or whatsoever. Which only makes that package into a contract not the others i would fight it or go to citizens advice bureau and get advice...My personal opinion is there taking the p*** and would tell them to get stuffed.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Peco

Virgin called me a few months ago to upgrade my broadband from 20Mb to 30Mb for only £5 extra a month. Have I inadvertently been tied into a new contract by agreeing to upgrade? I really desperately hope I'm not expected to pay this. With a baby on the way we're really going to struggle financially as it is.
Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

You can get out of contract if you take virgin Adsl
No longer registered
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Peco

I was advised by the Virgin customer service advisor that the speed would be very slow due to the area.
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

<Virgin called me a few months ago to upgrade my broadband from 20Mb to 30Mb for only £5 extra a month>
Yes, that most likely started new contract.
(Just in time before speed doubling).

Wouldn't taking ADSL start another new contract - possibly causing same problem when next move takes place?

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Peco

I simply cannot afford to pay this fee yet Virgin are adamant the full charges stand.  There must be a way to get out of this as I will be returning at the end of my house lease.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

Best you can do is talk to retentions (thinking of leaving) and see if taking ADSL at new property will avoid/reduce the charges.

Just thinking that you don't have to actually use it - just sign up to avoid the cancellation fees.

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Peco

I guess.  Any idea what the ADSL is alone?  Presummably they'll want to lump me off with a phone line I don't need too..

Please use plain text.
Padawan
astop123

hi

i  would do what the others have sugested, and ring retentions, as far as i am aware if only part of the original package, bundle, contract has been changed, then  only  that part  that has changed is tied to a new contract, i remember seing it in a statement on vm website but that was i while ago.

the trouble with virgin media is they make the rules up as t hey go,

you would be amazed how many people with virgin are on the same package yet get charged different prices

have a good talk to retentions they are usualy very good, and try to find out why they are charging you for comming out of contract on all your packages when you are not in contract on the tv and phone side of things

tell them you are going to seek legal advice from the citizens advice or a solicitors, and also send a formal complaint to the compliants dept at matrix park, the address should be on the contact us page,  send the letter recorded deliver then they cant say they havent recieved it.

also have a good read through vm's terms & conditions, if they are anything like their adverts you will need a magnifying glass to read them.

good luck with sorting it out

Please use plain text.