Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
stanch

TiVo® Desktop software for the PC

Will this ever be available with the Virgin media Tivo? It would be really nice to be able to display digital photos.
2 x 1TB Tivos
1 x 500Mb Tivo
100 mb Internet
XL TV
XL Phone
Virgin Mobile
Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

Re: TiVo® Desktop software for the PC

They're not ruling it out, I think if it is implemented the exact functionality will depend on current UK legilslation as far as transferring content, to and from the TiVo

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Grumpy_Trucker

[ Edited ]

PrinterElf wrote:

They're not ruling it out, I think if it is implemented the exact functionality will depend on current UK legilslation as far as transferring content, to and from the TiVo

So, essentially, "we, the holders of the copyright of this broadcast information deny you, the purchaser of said content, any rights whatsoever to disseminate the content herein to any device other than the one in which initially downloaded/installed/recorded beause we are greedy barstewards who are currently examing our legal position in respect of being able to charge you again to view the same content in a different room of your house. This includes but is not limited to the copying of CDs or DVDs into compressed file format to store on a Hard Disk Drive to listen/view either within your own household or on a mobile device and redistribution of recorded content within a closed home network because we feel it isn't fair that we aren't clever enough to do that ourselves"

Or something like that?

As for photos, especially taken by yourself I'm guessing there shouldn't be any legislative issues there. Now whether one can be split from the other in the Desktop Application without full recoding........

My Services:
2x TiVo - 1TB & 500GB, TV XL, BB XXL, Phone M
loc: BL4 Superhub: R30 TiVo: 15.3.RC5-VMC-2-C00
Services Status
1TB TiVo 500GB TiVo BB XXL Phone M
Thanks for the sig ideas PrinterElf. Much more info available
Please use plain text.
cbc
Good to Know
cbc

[ Edited ]

Call them greedy basterds if you want but I am afraid if certain people who want a product but don't like paying the asking price didn't think they are entitled to steal it instead, the copywrite owners wouldn't be trying to compensate for their losses by imposing additional restrictions on the rest of us!

The last time I looked into it, copying CD's and DVD's for backup purposes within youir own home was perfectly legal.

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Grumpy_Trucker

cbc wrote:

Call them greedy basterds if you want but I am afraid if certain people who want a product but don't like paying the asking price didn't think they are entitled to steal it instead, the copywrite owners wouldn't be trying to compensate for their losses by imposing additional restrictions on the rest of us!

The last time I looked into it, copying CD's and DVD's for backup purposes within youir own home was perfectly legal.

Actually, I think that strictly speaking it is still illegal in the UK but is given a blind eye approach since they know they can't win. Isn't Vince Cable looking into this? I think it's partly this thing about you only own the copy you actually pay for that is part of the hold up of the iTunes in the Cloud service in the UK. Or anywhere outside the US really. I think the argument is that you could be watching two copies of the same programme at the same time in two locations while only having paid for one of them.

I agree with you about the whole stealing thing, and personally have never downloaded a TV programme etc off the web and pay for all my viewing one way or another. My 500+ DVD collection will attest to that. However, there is no rational reason why, once you have recorded a programme from a TV service you are paying for onto a device in your household that you shouldn't be able to view it anywhere inside that household you wish.

My Services:
Services Status
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Grumpy_Trucker

Taken from The Guardian in May 2011:

Other recommendations aim to clear up anachronistic regulations, such as the commonplace practice of downloading a CD on to an MP3 player, called "format-shifting", which is technically illegal. In response to that proposal, Cable will highlight problems with the existing rules.

Full article here

I knew I wasn't going completely mad.

My Services:
Services Status
Please use plain text.
Crafty
stanch

"Not ruling it out....." - so it's not on the list as a future enhancement? I don't understand all the discussion on copyright. I only want to save and display my own photos. I'm sure it is perfectly legal to make MP3s from CDs you own as long as it is for your own use - in a MP3 player or a Home Media Server. It would be nice if the Tivo could do this. Any way, surely the Music will be handled by the recently announced Spotify. If it's not on the cards, I guess I'll have to save up the pennies and build a home media server and get something like a Sony SMP-N100. It sure would be handier (and cheaper) if the Tivo could do it.
2 x 1TB Tivos
1 x 500Mb Tivo
100 mb Internet
XL TV
XL Phone
Virgin Mobile
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Grumpy_Trucker

As I said above there should be no issues legally with photos. It's just if the photo aspect of the app is tied up with everything else that is limited legally at the moment.

As for 'not in a planned release' that is a difficult thing to say. VM can't or won't say what is coming by way of software enhancements, and the stuff that is out there is still only rumoured. Maybe it will come, maybe it won't. When will we find out? Just before it does come. If it isn't coming we probably won't be told either way.

My Services:
Services Status
Please use plain text.
cbc
Good to Know
cbc

Grumpy_Trucker wrote:

Taken from The Guardian in May 2011:

Other recommendations aim to clear up anachronistic regulations, such as the commonplace practice of downloading a CD on to an MP3 player, called "format-shifting", which is technically illegal. In response to that proposal, Cable will highlight problems with the existing rules.

Full article here

I knew I wasn't going completely mad.

Hmm! Odd because Microsoft are pretty red hot on copywrite issues and have incorporated all sorts of limitations into windows 7 including some fairy robust drm. Yet they openly provide the means to rip CD contents to the PC! It may be a very grey area in law in view of this I would think=?

Please use plain text.
Crafty
stanch

Whoa!! - I'm a criminal and I didn't know it!!! Over the past few years I have diligently "ripped" to MP3 my whole CD collection (over 300 CDs) They are now all safely stored in the attic. I honestly believed that if I legally bought the CD, and have it as proof, I could listen to the MP3s I had created from them... Wow.. freaky...`
2 x 1TB Tivos
1 x 500Mb Tivo
100 mb Internet
XL TV
XL Phone
Virgin Mobile
Please use plain text.