Menu
Up to speed
Message 1 of 13 (821 Views)

anyone here playing doom?

just bought it but want opinions from you guys.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13 (780 Views)

Re: anyone here playing doom?

had mine an hour then sold it back to the store not very good

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13 (773 Views)

i got a refund after 20 mins, its absolute rubbish.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 13 (749 Views)

When games like Doom were out in their hay day, there was a very different gamer atmosphere etc about. And when one looks back at those beloved hay day of their gaming infancy, it is sometimes hard to reconcile it with how how games are developed now and the atmosphere around the gaming environment in general.

For me, Unreal Tournament '99 was the best shooting based game I played. The vast amount of private and public servers, huge modding community, numerous game modes, pro leagues etc. Sequels rarely quite have the feel or charm of the original experience, but replicating success is a very hard thing to do.

Some things are just best left in the past and fondly remembered for what they were.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Message 5 of 13 (678 Views)

The Original Doom games were great, fighting invisible monsters in a pitch black room, the false ending in Doom 2, genius, gaming moments that will stay with you forever.

I bought my first dedicated graphics card for Doom 2, the difference was amazing, very dated nowadays of course. The first game I played in surround sound was the original Unreal, another great game, still remember ducking and diving to avoid the shards being fired at me when I heard them whizzing past my head. Great days which seem sadly lost with the consol generation.

Superuser
Message 6 of 13 (667 Views)

I was just thinking along the lines of: What if you could somehow time travel back to the early days of gaming.

Going back in time without any idea what Doom, Unreal etc was like. Likely the person would be thinking "People called THIS bleep good? Where's the achievements? No DLC?!? Horrible graphics and horrible sound! Takes forever to load! Give me back my gaming computer with its Geforce Titan v938798032 (and its 74 zetabyte RAM and 1038 trillion CPU cores) and my install disc for Call of  Duty Black Ops v90272." *Pronto hits the time travel button back to my home time.*

Perspective is a wonderful and varied thing.

When you picked up your first RPG or FPS etc as a little kid, with no prior experience. It's a experience of awe and one not to forget.

Years on, people become more jaded and base new games on their quality of graphics sound etc and features. Yet that one game from childhood long since passed which had no achievements, dlc, etc as well as very basic graphics and basic sound will always hold a fond place in the person's heart even if comparing it to a newer RPG or FPS etc and seeing how lacking/basic it was in comparison.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 7 of 13 (662 Views)

Unfortunately people want eye candy and more eye candy. So much so the game's the developers make then lack gameplay and uniqueness.

You don't need amazing eye candy to be successful, case in point, Terraria or Stardew Valley. Sure you get those rare gems that have everything, but as said they are rare.

Gaming has taken a downturn, games are more casual friendly, shorter in length of play and not well designed.

Except for Overwatch, the upcoming Civ 6 which I had the fortune of beta testing (much better than Civ V you can now build your building in adjacent sectors instead of the town sector, and depending on the type of sector you could get bonuses for the building you put there.... put a smithy near a mine increases productivity and so on).

Majide!
Wise owl
Message 8 of 13 (643 Views)

DABhand wrote:

Unfortunately people want eye candy and more eye candy. So much so the game's the developers make then lack gameplay and uniqueness.

You don't need amazing eye candy to be successful, case in point, Terraria or Stardew Valley. Sure you get those rare gems that have everything, but as said they are rare.

Gaming has taken a downturn, games are more casual friendly, shorter in length of play and not well designed.

Except for Overwatch, the upcoming Civ 6 which I had the fortune of beta testing (much better than Civ V you can now build your building in adjacent sectors instead of the town sector, and depending on the type of sector you could get bonuses for the building you put there.... put a smithy near a mine increases productivity and so on).

One of the best games I ever played was "Volcanic Dungeon" on the ZX 81. All atmosphere and imagination. No need for superfluous graphics, and all contained within 16K!

Then came the heady days of the 48K Spectrum and the revelations of Manic Miner, 3D Ant Attack, Daley Thompson's joystick buster, and The Hobbit. 

All playability and no graphics to speak of, but totally addictive, and no need for an always on internet connection just to play

Changed days, and not for the better.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 9 of 13 (586 Views)

Ahh the Hobbit loaded on tape by my Amega 30 minutes before I bought a fast boot loader and then it crashed a quarter of the time, ah bless. Bubble Bobble a fav here Doom ruled, I bought my first GPs for that a Matrox Mystique the drivers were a nightmare but it was a huge step forward
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 10 of 13 (578 Views)

J0hn wrote:
Ahh the Hobbit loaded on tape by my Amega 30 minutes before I bought a fast boot loader and then it crashed a quarter of the time, ah bless. Bubble Bobble a fav here Doom ruled, I bought my first GPs for that a Matrox Mystique the drivers were a nightmare but it was a huge step forward

Now this really is going to sound sad. I like my video games. My wife has played like 3 proper games- Monkey ball,Pikmin and BUBBLE BOBBLE!! (my fave) we've spent hours on it. A couple of weeks ago I heard the familiar strains of the theme tune  and assumed she'd found it again- but no, the kids have it on Xbox now and were playing it. Pretty decent version too, on XBLA.  THEY love it. I got them copies of Rainbow Islands for their DS's but they seem unconvinced as yet (bah humbug), ATM bubble bobbles where its at...

0 Kudos