Menu
gintee
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

factory settings

Well I have truly done it now. I have been having several problems for a while since installing windows 10 and had had enough but apparently I can't return to windows 7. I have asked for help on here several times and that has been invaluable. Over the last few weeks I have been at the end of my tether and tried to get help from Norton security - but my problems were not their remit. Virgin helpline tried to assist but changed some aspects on my computer and this just made it more confusing for me. I tried to set a restore point but it would not allow me but a message popped up saying try factory settings, and what did I do, yes, I was stupid enough to return my computer to factory settings. I have now lost all my documents etc. etc. Can I retrieve my "stuff"? Can this be overturned? Any help would be really appreciated. I am an older lady who was managing fine with the things I could do on line but all the new things just confuse me more. Windows 7 seemed to run smoothly but I can't get the hang of windows 10 at all.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: factory settings

sorry to post bad news but factory settings does what it says on the tin.

it puts your computer back to how it was when it left the factrory. so ALL data is deleted. 

that is basically irreversible. Possibly some very expensive repair shop can find some old files still on the hard drive, but that will costs you £100s and even that is a long shot

some of your emails may still exist online - depends who you use for email - you have to log in with their web mail and see what is still in inbox and in sent folders.

the slightly good news is that factory reset should have restored your computer to fully working windows 7 ( we hope) and the upgrade nags for windows 10 should have stopped, as the upgrade for free offer is ended. it will probably keep installing windows updates for a while, until it has win 7 fully up to date - just let that happen and restart it when prompted to.

if windows 7 is not working, we can maybe talk you throughg a re-install. we need to know the computer make and whether there is a windows COA sticker on the case with a long string of numbers and letters. that is the windows key which may have to be typed in.

some computers do not ask for it. e,g, Dell, which is why I asked about the make. and if dell did not ever give you a re-install disc, ebay still has cheap ones

the very worst case would be that you give up wanting to fix it yourself, sell it for spares, and buy a replacement windows 7 PC from ebay from a seller with a good reputation, with windows 7 installed and working.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's a free program called Recurva, link: https://www.piriform.com/recuva I last used the free portable x64 version of it.

It can scan for and help you retrieve files, chances are though that most of your files will be unrecoverable, though some may be savalgeable. I used this in the past and was able to retrieve some files. As long as you haven't over-written data into the folders where data was lost, some files may be retrievable for you (green colored in the app.) Anything not green won't salvage right if at all. Note: depending on the size of the hard drive, the scan can take a while.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

best to get a techie friend to help if you try that program, but i think it's doubtful that much can be found after a factory reset, And sometimes with those things they can find images  but titles have been lost. 

or you may have shared files with friends or family & they may have copies...

I am assuming your PC only had a single hard drive, and not a separate 2nd one for storage.

if you have lost photos then there may still be  a copy on the camera or on the smart phone, or at apple or at Google, depending who & what you use.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

cybmole wrote:

best to get a techie friend to help if you try that program, but i think it's doubtful that much can be found after a factory reset, And sometimes with those things they can find images  but titles have been lost. 

It's not hard to use, start it, select a drive or a folder on a drive. The you can choose to set to scan file certain file types or all file types. Then when the scan is done - if you find any recoverable files you want, right click and save them out. Not everything requires paying someone to help you. Also it doesn't only find images, it can find any deleted file type of any size.

+Add: I forgot to address another point you made. If it can recover a file in full (green - 100%), it will recover it in full. So regardless of it is a document, picture or movie. If it is marked as green (100% intact) the file will save out and work just like it did pre-deletion. I've had it recover documents, pictures, etc that I accidentally deleted when clearing out folders and not realizing something important was in them. The recovered files ran just like did pre-accidental-deletion.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

sorry to post bad news but factory settings does what it says on the tin.

it puts your computer back to how it was when it left the factrory. so ALL data is deleted. 

that is basically irreversible. Possibly some very expensive repair shop can find some old files still on the hard drive, but that will costs you £100s and even that is a long shot

some of your emails may still exist online - depends who you use for email - you have to log in with their web mail and see what is still in inbox and in sent folders.

the slightly good news is that factory reset should have restored your computer to fully working windows 7 ( we hope) and the upgrade nags for windows 10 should have stopped, as the upgrade for free offer is ended. it will probably keep installing windows updates for a while, until it has win 7 fully up to date - just let that happen and restart it when prompted to.

if windows 7 is not working, we can maybe talk you throughg a re-install. we need to know the computer make and whether there is a windows COA sticker on the case with a long string of numbers and letters. that is the windows key which may have to be typed in.

some computers do not ask for it. e,g, Dell, which is why I asked about the make. and if dell did not ever give you a re-install disc, ebay still has cheap ones

the very worst case would be that you give up wanting to fix it yourself, sell it for spares, and buy a replacement windows 7 PC from ebay from a seller with a good reputation, with windows 7 installed and working.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's a free program called Recurva, link: https://www.piriform.com/recuva I last used the free portable x64 version of it.

It can scan for and help you retrieve files, chances are though that most of your files will be unrecoverable, though some may be savalgeable. I used this in the past and was able to retrieve some files. As long as you haven't over-written data into the folders where data was lost, some files may be retrievable for you (green colored in the app.) Anything not green won't salvage right if at all. Note: depending on the size of the hard drive, the scan can take a while.

- - - - - -
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

or you may have shared files with friends or family & they may have copies...

I am assuming your PC only had a single hard drive, and not a separate 2nd one for storage.

if you have lost photos then there may still be  a copy on the camera or on the smart phone, or at apple or at Google, depending who & what you use.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

cybmole wrote:

It's not hard to use, start it, select a drive or a folder on a drive. The you can choose to set to scan file certain file types or all file types. Then when the scan is done - if you find any recoverable files you want, right click and save them out. Not everything requires paying someone to help you. Also it doesn't only find images, it can find any deleted file type of any size.

+Add: I forgot to address another point you made. If it can recover a file in full (green - 100%), it will recover it in full. So regardless of it is a document, picture or movie. If it is marked as green (100% intact) the file will save out and work just like it did pre-deletion. I've had it recover documents, pictures, etc that I accidentally deleted when clearing out folders and not realizing something important was in them. The recovered files ran just like did pre-accidental-deletion.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
gintee
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you everyone for your helpful answers. I am really unsure whether I can follow some of your suggestions/instructions. This morning I contacted Norton Security and, as it is not their telephone advisor's remit, I was asked if I would be willing to speak with someone from their expert team via telephone. It will cost me but I will not know how much until I speak with them. I then decide whether to go ahead or not. I stayed on computer for an hour this morning waiting on someone from the expert team to come through via computer but by the time they did I had to tell them I was going out in about 30mins. The expert said it would take quite some time  and agreed to phone me back within 24/48 hours.  I will wait to see what they think and then decide what to do. I will put a post on to let you all know how I get on. Thanks again everyone. I really do appreciate it.