Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

anyone using Adblockplue for IE ?

i recently noticed that ADP has a versionf or Internet Explorer. it's a fixed version, you cannot much tweak its settings and it does hog 100MB of RAM, even when IE is closed, but I thought it worth adding to my wife's PC as she insists on using IE and not anything newer or different.

So I sneaked it on, and last night she is incredibly stressed because she cannot make a payment with her Halifax online banking. Halifax pop up a window with a 4 digit code & then phone you to ask for the code before allowing the new payee. & the popup window was stubbornly not appearing. the phone call is from a robot that mindlessly keeps saying speak the code when you don't have one- you cant even curse it in a satisfying manner as it's one track mind stays on "what's the code" 

so i checked all sorts of things before thinking - while she queued the other phone to speak to a human - "maybe it's adblocker" & sure enough that was the culprit. Maybe it plays nice with other banking apps but it had to go, from her PC.  An addon that can't tell the difference between a pop up ad and an essential banking window is not good!.FYI She launches halifax banking as a pop up window from another site - ewise account unity for stored credentials, that pops up ok, but the new payee pop up code is blocked. Excluding ewise from ADP did not help, only excluding it everywhere solved the problem

I used to use ADP in chrome but ditched it as ublock seems better, and I found ADP on Android to be annoyingly bad. ion Android, it always blocked sign-in to this site and to other virgin pages ,for example.

0 Kudos
scouser73
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: anyone using Adblockplue for IE ?

Hi cybmole,

Is your wife's PC running Windows 10?, if so you can use uBlock Origin on Microsoft Edge (which is the new browser from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/ublock-origin/9nblggh444l4

Regards,

scouser73

152 Mbp/s Broadband - Windows 10 [Home] -
Ubuntu 17.10 - SuperHub 3.0 - Nokia 5
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: anyone using Adblockplus for IE ?

we do have windows 10 - I use ublock in chrome but she will not change from the browser she's always used ever since windows XP - which is Internet Explorer 

and to be fair to IE - it's the only browser that supports the ewise account unity banking consolidation vault thingie ( as that is active X)

it also plays nice with roboform which we bought years ago, for other site logins. I don't think roboform has edge support yet, and it was always iffy in chrome.**

I scrapped it in favour of lastpass but she likes roboform & does not want to learn a different one.

ewise stores all the info needed to log into financial sties, in a secure local vault - and does all the tedious now type the 3rd character from the name of your favourite cat... stuff for you http://www.ewise.com.au/accunity/demo/demo.asp

** to be honest, when roboform asked us to pay again for the next version, having bought it twice already, I decided that was not going to happen so we  found the v7  instead.. Some companies are just greedy. compare that with malwarebytes who still honour the old  lifetime keys that are no longer on sale and who are allowing a fere upgrade to their  new version, and the lifetime key stays at lifetime. . that's how it should be done

I do have one use for Edge -it streams Netflix very well, in full HD, and with better controls than the app store version, so Netflix is now my Edge home page, and after much googling, I managed to make a desktop shortcut for edge with the netflix icon on it.. It is ridicuously hard to make a desktop shortcut for Edge - changing the icon was the easy bit!

0 Kudos