Menu
grumpydaddy
Dialled in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VM, Pleeeease just a modem

I was onboard when we got just a modem

I trialled SH1 firmware when it was trying to work as a modem (now it is great but they say will not connect to 200/20)

I tried SH2 and 200Mb and it restricted what connections I can make

I just tried SH3 and that is even worse (SH2 allows more)

Even if I have to pay for it can we Please have a modem as an option.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM, Pleeeease just a modem

They can rip out the guts of the hub 3 with one port same chip and it be just as bad so really we want a good well tested chip for a modem.

all super hubs and hub 3 have a modem mode option where you get your one WAN IP.

0 Kudos
grumpydaddy
Dialled in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The last time I used anything from VM in anything other than modem mode was before SH1 would even work on modem mode
0 Kudos
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

thats what I'd like to see just a modem and if i wont wireless connectivity will buy my own router..the first time i took vm broadband out i had a CISCO DCP or DPC 2100 MODEM was a great service

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have SH2 in modem mode and 200Mbs and haven't found any restrictions.  Can't see any difference between the SH1 & SH2 in modem mode, it is just a modem as you requested.

The Hub 3 is another matter, as even in modem mode it is afflicted by a latency issue with the Intel Puma chip inside.

The 200/20 Gamer tier has to be activated on a Hub 3 but after activation can be rolled back to a SH2ac and possibly the older SH2 (if you still have your old SH), based on anecdotal evidence in this forum.  It may take a lot of badgering of VM support to get it done but there is no technical barrier.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VM use Liberty Global kit re-branded. LG dont do a modem in the European market (or any other AFAIK) .

So no modem for you.

0 Kudos
grumpydaddy
Dialled in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Testing done (in modem mode of course):

SH3 and either 200/20 or 152/12

Download multiple files and use about 20/2 run speedtest and it shows the headline rate when added to existing use

Download multiple files and use about 30/3 try to run speedtest and it will not run

SH2 and either 200/20 or 152/12

Download multiple files and use about 30/3 run speedtest and it shows the headline rate when added to existing use

Download multiple files and use about 50/5 try to run speedtest and it will not run

SH1 and 152/12

Download multiple files and use as much of the available bandwidth as you want, run speedtest and it shows the headline rate when added to existing use

up to a point latency is not an issue for me but more so for my boy. Being able to use it when we are all actually at home would be good.

Therefore I would love to use SH1 for 200/20 (the upload running at 10% of download would resolve other distributed computing issues so even 152/15 would work for me) but it seems I cannot.

All VM need to do is support 2 or 3 models of modem. We could then purchase and use

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@grumpydaddy Not sure what is going on with your connection but I and lots of other people with SH2s get all of the available bandwidth when downloading multiple files or use a download manager to multi thread a download, so either you have a faulty SH2 or a line issue.  As it is also slow on Hub 3 then I'd guess at a line issue.

Just done a test with my connection, 190 down and 12 up which is pretty good for peak time and it will top 200Mbps off peak:

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VM will never supply a modem again. They are a commercial operation and as such follow the market by supplying  a "get you going all in one", just like BT, Sky et all.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a modem like my old VMNG300, but those days have passed. Be thankful we get Modem Mode ......

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Theres actually a semi known issue with SH1, SH2 AND SH2AC. I say "semi known" because despite myself and others being able to demonstrate and replicate it, its never been officially acknowledged by VM

At high numbers of connections you get truncated web pages and jpgs. Higher number will make the HUB fall over. Inward bound seem worse than outward.

SH3 does not exhibit the same behavior.

So SCA's advice is likely right.