Menu
atomic13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Set up diagrams

Hi

I'm getting Virgin TV / Broadband / Phone installed in a house I'm moving into in a month or two - which I'm currently renovating.

I need to understand how the system works, what the cabling requirements are etc to get the signal to the TV.

Ideally a schematic digram of all the equipment, cables, boxes, where things are terminated etc

i.e does optical fibre come right into house? (I'm thinking I should I install a duct right now in readiness instead of the installation team drilling through my brand new render).

I'm putting underfloor heating down which means I won't be able to access underneath the floorboards - what do I need to do in preparation for Virgin TV and Broadband?

When it comes to installation day I don't want some naff solution with the cable drilled through the house unnecessarily when with a bit of prior planning I can put ducts and holes in the right places.

Where can I get info about the requirements from?  No joy from contacting Virgin so far.

I've already checked out their pdfs - I'm not interested in how to use the system.  I'm interested in how the system is set up.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Set up diagrams

There are some technical details on this site http://www.virginmedia.com/lightning/network-expansion/property-developers

It's aimed at developers so covers details about how a home can / should be prewired at construction.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nice pdf Ben, very informative reading Smiley Happy

For the OP, I would suggest flood wiring Cat 6 Ethernet cable where ever possible, and terminate with Ethernet points in the rooms.

I did this for my son when his house was under construction, and it has been a great success. There is an Ethernet point along side most of the power outlets, so the smart TV's, consoles etc, do not need wireless, but are hard wired.  It was a big job, but the benefits are no faffing with wireless channels and congestion from neighbours !

Good luck with your renovation Smiley Happy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It should be possible to arrange a site visit to ensure that your cabling options are available. When my father moved a couple of years ago this was arranged by the house moves team to ensure that it was possible to install cable in the first place, and to help identify the best cable route through the garden.

As long as there is clear access from the pavement tee (as covered in the document) to the point on your house where you want the outside wall point then I can't see any reason why it won't be where you want it.

Same goes for inside. As long as the access is clear for the routes you wish, the engineers on the day should follow any preferred installation options.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There are some technical details on this site http://www.virginmedia.com/lightning/network-expansion/property-developers

It's aimed at developers so covers details about how a home can / should be prewired at construction.
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nice pdf Ben, very informative reading Smiley Happy

For the OP, I would suggest flood wiring Cat 6 Ethernet cable where ever possible, and terminate with Ethernet points in the rooms.

I did this for my son when his house was under construction, and it has been a great success. There is an Ethernet point along side most of the power outlets, so the smart TV's, consoles etc, do not need wireless, but are hard wired.  It was a big job, but the benefits are no faffing with wireless channels and congestion from neighbours !

Good luck with your renovation Smiley Happy

atomic13
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ben,

These diagrams are really useful and have clarified a few things - thanks.

Looking at the diagrams and all the different options, what I really need is someone to undertake a site visit and offer advice for what I would require inside.

Do Virgin offer this? Or does their 'interest' end at the termination box and you have to figure out the internals yourself?

I have noted the contacts at the end of the document - my local one will be the next point of contact unless you've any further advice.

Specifically, my questions and concerns are

1) I don't want the termination box placing on the front of my house - can it go at any point of my choosing? (i.e hidden round the side, another 10m or so) or are there any restrictions? Are there any technical downside of extending the cable run?

2) I want specific on-site advice about where to put cable runs, ducts etc

I tried the customer service number but the call centre people were not great TBH.

Any further thoughts or advice appreciated!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It should be possible to arrange a site visit to ensure that your cabling options are available. When my father moved a couple of years ago this was arranged by the house moves team to ensure that it was possible to install cable in the first place, and to help identify the best cable route through the garden.

As long as there is clear access from the pavement tee (as covered in the document) to the point on your house where you want the outside wall point then I can't see any reason why it won't be where you want it.

Same goes for inside. As long as the access is clear for the routes you wish, the engineers on the day should follow any preferred installation options.
atomic13
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I will try contact the house moves team.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear, it was the house moves team of my father as he already has services at his previous address. So it all depends on your existing situation as to whether they're able to help or not

However I would think the new sales team should also be able to arrange a site visit.
0 Kudos