Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7 (189 Views)

Next To BT Fibre-Enabled Exchange?

Hi, I have VM at home but looking at broadband options for business premises we're getting.

Premises are next door to the actual BT Fibre-Enabled exchange building. The annoying thing is there is no fibre cabinet so Infinity isn't available (FTTC). Looking at OpenReach they are looking at offering FTTP but don't have an ETA.

Just wondering whether ADSL will be good since we are literally 25m from the actual exchange. It'll be an EO Line. 

Cheers

Nick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 7 (175 Views)

Re: Next To BT Fibre-Enabled Exchange?

May be worth looking at Virgin Business.

They will connect to their own Broadband network if it is in the vicinity. If not they will connect via leased lines through the BT exchange.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 7 (171 Views)

The BT broadband checker on their web site should give you a good idea of what you are likely to get from an Openreach ADSL connection. Being close to the exchange should help.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7 (166 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi There, VM are in the area but was just weighing up pricing. Realising I would be next door to the BT Exchange I expected amazing speeds but seems that I'm too close. Can't understand why they can't do VDSL directly to exchange without a fibre cabinet but read that OFCOM might be to blame. There is plenty of land around the exchange so they could simply but screw the fibre cabinet to the outside wall of the exchange, wire the fibre cable to it, re-route the EO lines to the cabinet and enable Infinity. Seems like a 'relatively' cheap solution for getting us connected.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7 (165 Views)

We'll be in the Pama House building at postcode SK6 2AA. This is next door to the exchange.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 7 (134 Views)

I think you may be better on a BT or Sky forum. There is nothing Virgin Media can or would do to help you get an Openreach connection.
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7 (115 Views)

[ Edited ]

True so I'm not expecting VM staff to respond but I assumed that some people on here would have general knowledge of the competing technologies.

(P.S. I'm going for VM broadband but just wondered about this.)

0 Kudos