Menu
nickRG21
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Live TV over broadband

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of streaming live TV over broadband using a set top box, not a PC.

I live in a conservation area and putting an aerial / dish up is not an option. My house is well-networked, with wifi / powerline ethernet reaching the whole house so it seems sensible to use this.

I would like to put set-top boxes in a couple of rooms to access BBC and Freeview channels live over wifi / ethernet simply, without the complications of setting up a PC.

I'd like a fast, responsive box. TiVo's slowness is driving me up the wall, and the main reason why I'm not considering extending the cable around the house. A PVR function and 500GB / 1TB storage would be useful but not essential.

I've read that BT Vision / Talk Talk / BT Youview boxes can be used in this manner using my Virgin broadband but a lot of the info online is old.

If anyone has any experience of doing this and tips on which second-hand boxes to look out for, please let me know.

Many thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Live TV over broadband

a cheap Roku box or stick will stream live BBC, live ITV  for free via i player and ITV hub. in good quality. I used that for euro 16

then there are various paid for streams to explore, SKy/now tv ( on now TV box or on roku), hulu..

it is harder nowadays to stream USA TV as the geo workarounds are mostly blocked

amazon has the roku stick at 17.99 new, and I paid about £30-£40 each for used roku 2 boxes from ebay.

if you have strong wifi- the stick is all you need. For wired via powerline, get roku 2 box ( same speed & power as roku 3, less bells n whistles for the remote) 

Nvidia shield is said to be the cream of the crop, if you can find one & can afford one, but it does not have amazon video ( roku does, at 1080p ) 

if you have saved content elsewhere in the house, use a plex server and the free plex app on roku to stream over LAN

cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i don't know of any PVR, apart from TIVO , options that do not use an aeriel,  given that you don't want to use a PC 

but there is good catch-up in both i-player & ITV hub so how important is PVR, really ?

i think the now tv app within roku will give you the most UK channels + catch up services via broadband

cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

bbc i-player has the option to download and watch later- offline, on PC and android, maybe elsewhere also. 

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

a cheap Roku box or stick will stream live BBC, live ITV  for free via i player and ITV hub. in good quality. I used that for euro 16

then there are various paid for streams to explore, SKy/now tv ( on now TV box or on roku), hulu..

it is harder nowadays to stream USA TV as the geo workarounds are mostly blocked

amazon has the roku stick at 17.99 new, and I paid about £30-£40 each for used roku 2 boxes from ebay.

if you have strong wifi- the stick is all you need. For wired via powerline, get roku 2 box ( same speed & power as roku 3, less bells n whistles for the remote) 

Nvidia shield is said to be the cream of the crop, if you can find one & can afford one, but it does not have amazon video ( roku does, at 1080p ) 

if you have saved content elsewhere in the house, use a plex server and the free plex app on roku to stream over LAN

nickRG21
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much. I'll have a look at the Roku options. Not looking to do anything fancy with non-UK video - just live Freeview channels without an aerial or dish, simple without the need to fiddle around with apps, and possibly with PVR and guide functionality.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i don't know of any PVR, apart from TIVO , options that do not use an aeriel,  given that you don't want to use a PC 

but there is good catch-up in both i-player & ITV hub so how important is PVR, really ?

i think the now tv app within roku will give you the most UK channels + catch up services via broadband

nickRG21
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, thanks again. I've been having a good look at Roku and I think that will be an ideal solution. I realised that a PVR version would be far-fetched as you can't officially record from iPlayer, Sky Go, itv hub, etc., so it's unlikely you could capture a stream re a straightforward hardware solution.

One of the users will be erm... less technically aware so they will find using different websites / apps for different catch-ups to be a bit of a pain, but it looks like this is the best solution.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

bbc i-player has the option to download and watch later- offline, on PC and android, maybe elsewhere also.