Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is high power wifi a bad Idea

With BT advertising UK's most powerfull wifi, isn't that a bad thing?

I have enough trouble finding a free channel for my wifi as it is. Even then I have to have some overlap with my neighbours wifi, and judging by the number of other wifi sources its not just immediate neighbours interfering.

Wont more powerful wifi just cause more problems. Also I assume it will also make it harder for the router or AP to receive data from other devices?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is high power wifi a bad Idea

Don't fall for the hype, whatever Z lister is dangling off a fake helicopter in a studio.

The power output for wireless APs is controlled by law, which all wireless manufacturers have to comply with.(200mW on 2.4Ghz band and 5Ghz band lower channels and 1W on the 5Ghz band channels 100+)

The new BT hub has 7 antennae (compared to 5 for SH2s and hub3). This provides more spatial streams to carry more data. (3 on the 2.4Ghz band and 4 on the 5Ghz band). However, whatever the number of spatial streams the total output power cannot exceed the legal maximum,so in theory it can be no more powerful than any other wireless router.

As the spatial streams use the same wireless channel it should cause no more interference than any other wireless AP. It is usually when you increase the number of wireless channels the likelyhood of interference increases.

Range can be increased if you directionalise the wireless signal. Rather than spreading the signal out all around the wireless AP, you focus it towards the client. Beamforming is such a technique to do this, which has now been standardised in the new Wireless AC standard.

The new BT Hub does have some cool features like noise filters that can help reduce interference from household appliances like microwave ovens, chordless phones etc, which should help improve the signal quality.

I am curious to find out what tinting they have on the windows in the building in the advert, as some tinted windows can kill a wifi signal stone dead.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't fall for the hype, whatever Z lister is dangling off a fake helicopter in a studio.

The power output for wireless APs is controlled by law, which all wireless manufacturers have to comply with.(200mW on 2.4Ghz band and 5Ghz band lower channels and 1W on the 5Ghz band channels 100+)

The new BT hub has 7 antennae (compared to 5 for SH2s and hub3). This provides more spatial streams to carry more data. (3 on the 2.4Ghz band and 4 on the 5Ghz band). However, whatever the number of spatial streams the total output power cannot exceed the legal maximum,so in theory it can be no more powerful than any other wireless router.

As the spatial streams use the same wireless channel it should cause no more interference than any other wireless AP. It is usually when you increase the number of wireless channels the likelyhood of interference increases.

Range can be increased if you directionalise the wireless signal. Rather than spreading the signal out all around the wireless AP, you focus it towards the client. Beamforming is such a technique to do this, which has now been standardised in the new Wireless AC standard.

The new BT Hub does have some cool features like noise filters that can help reduce interference from household appliances like microwave ovens, chordless phones etc, which should help improve the signal quality.

I am curious to find out what tinting they have on the windows in the building in the advert, as some tinted windows can kill a wifi signal stone dead.

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My brain is fried enough as it is.Smiley LOL

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Gaode103
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In short, wifi power is regulated by law. There is no 'super power' without breach the law.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My brain being fried is nothing to do with wi-fi nor naturally occuring background (solar) radiation.  It's more steam coming out of my ears when others in the house ask "Can you fix my computer?" or just "Doesn't work"!  Hours of life wasted.Smiley Sad

Just the way it is!

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos