Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dial Up Speeds

I keep seeing people complaining about suffering Dial Up Speeds on then quoting that they are only getting 5Mbs or some such..

Wow in the days if Dial up 5Mbps was undreamed of, if we'd had that it would have saved long nights at the office watching the modem waiting for a transfer to the states to complete.

The Best I could hope for was 56Kbps, however a big chunk of my life was spent with only 9600.

A 56Kbps would take around 4 hours to download a 100 meg file under perfect conditions.. usually it was a lot longer.

5Mbps is what my Adsl speeds were...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dial Up Speeds

I remember my first PC having an internal modem & giving me all of 50Kbps download speeds. Started with Supanet as NTL didn't offer ISP services initially. Had to watch the clock as your were charged local call rates for your connection time. Then when NTL did start, for the first year you could use a free number in return for a 2 hour cut-off of your connection. It was good while it lasted, as there was no subs to start with. After the first year they started charging £5 a month & then later £10.

I then progressed to a PC with a network card & was amazed by the speed increase of cable broadband (all of 2Mb to start with.) How things have moved on.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

I keep seeing people complaining about suffering Dial Up Speeds on then quoting that they are only getting 5Mbs or some such..

Wow in the days if Dial up 5Mbps was undreamed of, if we'd had that it would have saved long nights at the office watching the modem waiting for a transfer to the states to complete.

The Best I could hope for was 56Kbps, however a big chunk of my life was spent with only 9600.

<Yorkshire accent> Luxury! When I were growing up we were lucky to get 2400 and dreamed of 9600.  Also we had to get up half an hour before we went to bed to use the phone line when it wasn't in use and hope that the BBS we were dialling wasn't engaged.  You tell that to kids today and they won't believe you. </Yorkshire accent> Smiley Very Happy

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

LOL!   Do you remember all the funny R2D2 type noises the dial-up modems used to make as they established a connection?  Happy daze.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

LOL!   Do you remember all the funny R2D2 type noises the dial-up modems used to make as they established a connection?  Happy daze.

Oh yes.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Anyone ever have friends who were always online and if you wanted to talk to them on the phone would have to logon to MUD or whatever and ask them to log off so you could phone them...

BTW I ran up a phone bill of >£1000 not realising how quickly 1p per minute could add up..

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

BTW I ran up a phone bill of >£1000 not realising how quickly 1p per minute could add up..

Ouch!  Mind you it's just as easy for kids to run up bills like that nowadays on their smartphones and tablets if the parents aren't on the ball.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well I can rember using dial-up at 134bps. That was slooooow.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tudor wrote:

Well I can rember using dial-up at 134bps. That was slooooow.

wow thats slow. I think my 1st modem as 1200/75 or 300/300

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

<SNIP>

<Yorkshire accent> Luxury! When I were growing up we were lucky to get 2400 and dreamed of 9600.  Also we had to get up half an hour before we went to bed to use the phone line when it wasn't in use and hope that the BBS we were dialling wasn't engaged. .  You tell that to kids today and they won't believe you. </Yorkshire accent> Smiley Very Happy

<SNIP>

You were lucky.  We had to get up in the morning at 11o/c at night, 5 minutes before we went to bed. We dragged ourselves to the phone box, shared by 500 yokels in our village, borrowed the tuppence from the person behind us, plugged in the handheld calculator, worked out the square root of minus one, transmitted the answer to Harold Wilson and got back home just in time for another thrashing.

Props: Monthy Python

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)