Menu
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone explain this?

On 17th Jan, VM changed something in the local network here in SE London, as evidenced by a change in my IP address. Since then my previously stable connection has been badly affected. Speeds on this 200Mb service are more or less the same, but latency is dreadful.

The strangest aspect is a step function in the minimum ping times, from 8.30pm to 10.30pm each day. The attached BQM illustrates this. Does anyone recognise this and can explain what's happening?

BQM3.PNG

P.S. Any suggestions as to how I can explain this verbally when I call Support? Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can anyone explain this?

Likely a different IP address means you are now connected to a different CMTS at the headend. This will always happen if the hub is turned off for more than a week. It also happens around every 12 to 18 months if its always on.

Another possibility is network re-segmentation. VM are gradually "chopping" the network into smaller sections, so the street nodes serve less customers. The good thing about this is it reduces the risk of over-utilisation problems in the long run. In the short run it can cause a month or so of disruption to services.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks!

What is causing the 'step' function? And how can I get the latency back to normal?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Just looked at my thinkbroadband monitor and see the same step up between 8.30pm and 10.30pm for the last two days.  I am in Bristol.

jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

So that is a widespread issue. I wonder if a mod can investigate?

Perhaps there are two separate problems.

Graham_A, is your latency normal, apart from that?  I take it your BQM isn't full of spikes like mine?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

if the hump is no most peoples its more likely a problem at TBB end and nothing to do with VM
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I'll do some separate tests this evening to check if it's only TBB that is showing it..

Going back to the main problem, I notice there is a definite cycle to the ping data.

Every 6 hours the latency drops to almost the normal level for a short while. This has happened every day since the network change.

bqm5.PNG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Apart from the hump the rest of the graph is typical for my connection:

My Broadband Ping - 1 Hub3
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

was it late Saturday? if so i'm seeing it on my site for all VM routers. This means it going to be at one of the peeting points

http://www.ukinternetreport.co.uk/?p=allg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

full_80.249.99.164

But not on the pingbox so not TBB end. It was the peering into the VM network.

0 Kudos