Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

32 bit downgrade logic

is there any flaw in this reasoning:

32 bit windows 10 4GB onboard with a Gt310 512MB card

so the card takes 512MB of address space, and Windows has to made do with  the rest.

If i removed the Nvidia card and reverted back to  the onboard Intel G45 graphics instead,  we only do basic 2D stuff via VGA anyway, the system would then only reserve about 100Mb for graphics, thus windows would gain the other 0.4 GB ?

which makes the case for going though all the hassle of changing it to 64 bit for the final extra bit of RAm very marginal indeed ?

or is my something for nothing argument flawed.

for completeness, its VGA graphics to a 1680 x 1050 monitor, so that's what ~1.7million pixels ?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 32 bit downgrade logic

Some of your RAM is always not used. System devices are mapped in the same area as used by RAM, that is why you will never get the full usage from 4GB, on a 32 bit machine.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

if you upgrade to 64bit why not upgrade the ram to 8gb or more at the same time if the system will take it. RAM is cheap and will give you a boost in performance
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
if you upgrade to 64bit why not upgrade the ram to 8gb or more at the same time if the system will take it. RAM is cheap and will give you a boost in performance

that's our oldest PC, destined for ebay or attic in the near future so not worth it.. ram is not that cheap. 4Gb is still around £30 so adding it to  PC that's only worth £30 is not going to double its value. Dunno if the MOBO would support it anyway - the free Crucial.com r scanner could probably tell me that.

it annoys me sometimes as I will go to install something that works on all the others and get that version not supported on this OS cos of the 32 vs 64 issue. so I have to keep 2 versions of some programs

what's also frustating is I cannot find a proper make / model. its a Novatech SFF case, but I cannot match it to anything they now sell, ad there's no name or model number on the case other than Novatech. I know what's inside, via device manager. I got it from ebay but most be >3 years ago as it has dropped out of my purchase history. It has Pentium dual core E5900 at ~3Ghz and Gb ethernet on board, so it's a well spec-ed business PC for its age.I put in  a 500Gb hard drive & it has space for a 2nd drive.& I did the free Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro upgrade.

not having the the exact name makes it harder to value or to sell

0 Kudos