TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
aboyd22

coaxial cable to move box

I have ordered a new sofa and will need to change my livingroom around soon when it arrives. I am planning on moving my tv to the otherside of the room and will need a longer cable to connect the virgin box to the virgin point in the room. Where can I get one?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
AMWSmith

Re: coaxial cable to move box

you have 2 options here.

Option one. Let a VM enginner do it. but it will be at a cost. Am not sure what the charge is thease days but when I wanted it done was arounf the £80 mark.

Option two. Goto any good AV/Electrical dealer and ask for a coax cable with f connecters on (same type used for satalite) in the lenght you need. Then just unscrew the old one and attach the new one.

Tony.
2X TiVo 500G (TV XL) 152Mb BB & Weekend Calls.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

The charge for an engineer to come out is £99.

If you are extending cables, be wary of going further than 5 metres or it will risk affecting your signal levels.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.
Crafty
aboyd22

thanks for your replys. Think I will just buy one then. I only need to move it about 3m. It will only be temp until I wall mount my tv anyway. Struggling with that too though. I need to mount the tv above the fireplace as no other wall I can use that everyone could see the tv. I wanted to put virgin box etc in a unit at the side of the fireplace and run the cables through plastic casing the same colour as the wall to hide them down the side of the fireplace. However as I have the standard virgin box the scart cable is too wide and short to do this. I don't want the virgin box under the tv. Anyone have any soloutions?

Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

aboyd22 wrote:

I have ordered a new sofa and will need to change my livingroom around soon when it arrives. I am planning on moving my tv to the otherside of the room and will need a longer cable to connect the virgin box to the virgin point in the room. Where can I get one?

You can get a 5 mtr cable with a coupler for £2.39 inc p&p from Ebay .

Click Me

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
vintagemug

You "could" ask virgin for a free upgrade to a V+ box (£20 shipping and you swap it yourself) then you could use a HDMI cable which is a lot thinner. 

If you want to eliminate any signal interference you need to get 2 section trunking (the plastic boxing up the wall) and if you really want to make it perfect then gluing some aluminium foil to the divider will mean zero losses or interference

I don't pretend to know everything... But I do know enough.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

[ Edited ]

Think the OP wants the box to be in a cabinet near to the TV and not on the other side of the room.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
djalbertfreeman

nodrogd wrote:

If you are extending cables, be wary of going further than 5 metres or it will risk affecting your signal levels.

I'm in a similar situation, but having measured the distance from the box to my TV it is 11m.  I think, therefore, I would have to get a 15m coaxial cable.  Is that too long to have a decent signal?  I'm not bothered about amazing signal, but I want to be able to watch TV.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

[ Edited ]

Don't think of signals in terms of analogue TV, where it gets grainy if the signal is weak. With digital it either works or it doesn't. To extend the cable this much you are risking losing some if not all of your channels and your VOD services not working.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
djalbertfreeman

Oh dear, it sounds like this move of my TV is a bad idea.  I can't really think how else to arrange the room though, so maybe I'll have to fork out and get Virgin to come and move their box closer to where I want the TV.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.