Menu
valjamieson
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

can you stream Virgin TV anywhere on other TVs

Hi, Just weighing up SkyQ against Virgin. Cant seem to find the answer to the question about streaming Virgin TV anywhere. I get that you can watch it on your device, but can you watch it streamed on to a smart TV like you can with Netflix? Or is it like Sky go which at the moment I cant stream on to a TV? Cheers guys.

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: can you stream Virgin TV anywhere on other TVs

You can only watch on the device's screen. Casting is blocked. You can connect an hdmi cable to a laptop to feed your TV, but not from a mobile device.

0 Kudos
valjamieson
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Crockret. Damn!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Crockret wrote:

You can only watch on the device's screen. Casting is blocked. You can connect an hdmi cable to a laptop to feed your TV, but not from a mobile device.

like he said - I tried all possible workarounds. Smart TV browsers not supported. Rocku not supported, Fire TV / android TV not supported. Chromecast blocked. Delievery via HDMi not supported. The only loophole is PC -> HDMi -> TV and run in browser.{ remembering that chrome is not supported either}  even then it's crap compared to other solutions as for sports only the SD channels are enabled for streaming, and they buffer, lots

Kodi on the other hand, or acestream.... full on legal HD. streaming.. just lining up the Wales game.now...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why should VM provide you an easy workaround that virtually removes the need to rent a Multiroom box from them?

It's not in their commercial interests.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
valjamieson
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Cybmole. I'm stuffed then. I've just been ringing Sky, and they tell me I can cast skygo on a PlayStation or Xbox 360. Sadly I have neither of these! I tried to wangle SkyQ out of Sky as I need a new box, but even the threat of leaving wasn't enough. Discount but no SkyQ, so stuff em, going to go with Virgin. Sad about the lack of casting though.

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Other things you should know:

VM keep making changes accidentally that take TV Anywhere out of service completely for days/weeks at a time.

The stream is highly unstable (buffering, repeating, stalling)

You wouldn't want to watch the woeful picture quality on a big screen anyway. It's just about passable on a mobile phone.

TV Anywhere only works on UK Wi-Fi. Streaming over 3G/4G is blocked.

0 Kudos
valjamieson
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's always been Sky's approach too. But if they linked it to accounts who have the box, I don't see the problem.
0 Kudos
valjamieson
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well that's bad news!
0 Kudos