Menu
tumi
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 tech preview (build 10041) - Released last week

Win 10 will be a free upgrade from versions 7 and 8/8.1 so I imagine the uptake will be enormous (can't speak for earlier versions). Development of windows 10 is progressing, and developers are working with Microsoft to tease out problems etc.. It is expected to be released this summer. Can VM please confirm that the are on-board,as a developer. It would be advantageous for all if TV Anywhere was developed in concert with Win 10 so there should be no insurmountable problems when (Win 10) is released. I am aware that there are issues with "touch screen" windows hardware. Touch screens are here to stay so fix it! Microsoft have been asking for development input since (I think) Oct 2014 so there should be no surprise that a change is on its way.

This is a chance for VM to get ahead of the game and appease windows users, who seem to lose out in the pecking order of things - iOS - Android - Windows. Of course each should shout for their own system but I guess most laptops/PC's in the land are Windows based and I'll repeat myself touch screens are here to stay. Most of us will have a PC/Laptop and other more mobile device(s).

VM show us you can look to the future - and surprise us!

ginnerchris
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 10 tech preview (build 10041) - Released last week

Totally agree with this. Would be great to hear that the developers are working on this.
0 Kudos
tumi
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To be or not to be: that is the question

When is a door not a door?

When is a hybrid not a PC?

When is a hybrid not a laptop?

When is a hybrid not a tablet?

When is full Windows 8/8.1 not a full operating system?

When is Windows going to be taken seriously?

When is Windows 10 out - oh later this year!

When will VM do anything for Windows – oh, that will 1 year after iOS 100 has been released?

When are license issues going to stop being blamed – oh for everything?

License numbers should have been negotiated using the number of “bums on seats” rule. Not by specific OS or equipment definition.

It’s easy, how many “mobile” licences do we need?

I bet media providers will be content as long as the negotiated number of licenses has not been breached and they get their money. This has nothing to do with “rooted” equipment for which there may be propriety reasons to ban them – I’m not technical.

Seems to me the Windows is going down the same alley as Android (always playing 2nd fiddle to iOS) which of course makes it 3rd fiddle.

Come on VM Win 10 is coming and yes it will include touch screen.

Feel better now

0 Kudos
tumi
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to keep this topic on the boil so to speak. Can VM please confirm they are engaged with Microsoft with regard to Win 10 release?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi tumi, 

Thanks for your post. 

We have no information on this currently however if and when we do, we shall let you know Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F wrote:

Hi tumi, 

Thanks for your post. 

We have no information on this currently however if and when we do, we shall let you know Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

VM is getting just like Cinderella, always late for the ball.......

PS, VM can't sort out the EXISTING problems with their software, leave alone trying to organise something NEW!!!!

GET REAL people, this is VIRGIN (on the useless) after all!!  Smiley Mad

Rather they sorted out the EXISTING system foul ups before starting any more   Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
tumi
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've just seen James_W's information with regard to Windows 10/Edge. What have VM been doing since Microsoft (MS) released Tech Builds last September? These were intended to allow developers to work with MS and sort any problems out - before they became a problem! This almost beggars parallel! VM you continue to frustrate, I bet other players in the media field don't just bury their heads in the sand. I would like to know who VM (as a modern forward looking company ???) benchmark themselves against. I bet your the strongest player around as no doubt you will be holding the rest up from the bottom of the performance league table.

There is another issue (but note I'm not technically minded). Security: almost daily we hear of threats because of old browsers and add-ons. It must be in VM's interest to adopt HTML 5 (I think that's the new standard) and get everybody on the same specifications.

Question for VM lawyers. Is my computer at risk because I'm being told to use outdated software, and if so who will pay to put it right?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi tumi,

Thank you for your post on the Forum.

In no way do we ask customers to put their computers or other equipment at risk. We advise our customers to use a supported Operating System and browser and to make certain these have current updates. James_W's post specifically states that as well:

"We advise that if using Windows 10 that you should use a supported browser, such as Mozilla Firefox, or if you wish to continue using Internet Explorer, then don't upgrade to Edge."

Microsoft supports IE11 on Windows 10, which allows users to continue to run programmes that require ActiveX controls. 

We also actively encourage customers to provide added protection such as antivirus and firewall safeguards for such risks. 

More information on security is provided on our Help Page on www.virginmedia.com

Or you can click this link to take you there.

Regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos