Menu
LizP1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Use TV Anywhere to control elderly mum's telly??

Hi there,  this may seem like a strange request but is it possible to use the TV Anywhere App to control someone's tv in another house?

My mother is 86 years old and has just had a new tivo box installed.  She has rung me almost every day as she has managed to press a button somewhere that brings up a strange screen.  It takes ages to get her to find her way back to live TV!  I use the TV Anywhere app at home (usually to have a bit of fun changing channels when I am in the kitchen and the boys are watching tv!!!).  It would be great if I could use it to get mum's tv back to where it should be when she is in a pickle with it - but it won't let me as I am not on the same network (I am in my house, mum is in hers!).

Is there a way to get around this so that I could use it as a remote control for mum's tv?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use TV Anywhere to control elderly mum's telly??

No, to control a TiVo or V6, the device with the TV Anywhere app has to be on the same network as the TiVo or V6.

Returning to Live TV is straightforward and one button press - the TV button on the TiVo remote.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PS The new V6 box has an RF remote that can operate the box from anywhere in the house. Equal fun as today with the TV Anywhere app.

0 Kudos
LizP1
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie. Yes, I know it's usually a simple fix ... but it's not always easy to explain it to mum over the phone! Had the same call four days running now! She manages to load up a page that is all about Baby TV ... no idea where that is, never seen it myself! By the time I get the call, she is usually so frazzled that it takes a good 10 minutes to get her back to Live TV .. and yes, just pressing one button can take that long! I was hoping that there might be a sneaky workaround to the not being on the same network business ... just so I could do it for her!!
:-)
0 Kudos