Menu
Superfast
Message 151 of 162 (165 Views)

Re: TV Anywhere app keeps requiring sign in info

Seems to be working fro me now, 3 days have passed without having to sign in. 

Interestingly the App has not been updated, so was problem with VM Login Servers?

Martin
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 152 of 162 (161 Views)

I trust, Martin, that you are not expecting a confirmation or denial of that from a VM employee?!! If you read through the thread, I was not the only one to come to that conclusion a few days ago.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 153 of 162 (150 Views)

Thanks, McGaz, that's very helpful.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 154 of 162 (129 Views)

Contacted VM through Twitter. They were very helpful.

They suggested deleteing and reinstalling the iOS VM Anywhere app. This has sorted the issue now. I appear to stay logged in!

On our wavelength
Message 155 of 162 (91 Views)

I haven't had to re login for a few days, but still won't call it fixed - need it to be ok for much longer for that. Possibly a month.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 156 of 162 (84 Views)

That's hardly an objective criterion, elfin101! VM had clearly carried out a software patch that resulted in log-ins only being held for a maximum of 24 hours (i.e. until the next calendar day). That error has been corrected and log-ins are now held for longer. Any log-in problem that occurs now will have been caused by a different fault, which might be App related or Server related!
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 157 of 162 (48 Views)

MartJ wrote:

Seems to be working fro me now, 3 days have passed without having to sign in. 

Interestingly the App has not been updated, so was problem with VM Login Servers?

Yes - I was told specifically and explicitly by Virgin Media that they couldn't handle the demand so put the auto-logout in to reduce the load and demand on the servers. 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 158 of 162 (43 Views)

While I do not wish to suggest that you were NOT told by VM that the auto-logout action was deliberate, it seems counter-intuitive that such action would reduce the demand on the VM servers. Surely, requiring log-in action once every day would INCREASE demand on the servers?
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 159 of 162 (42 Views)

suffolkpunch wrote:
While I do not wish to suggest that you were NOT told by VM that the auto-logout action was deliberate, it seems counter-intuitive that such action would reduce the demand on the VM servers. Surely, requiring log-in action once every day would INCREASE demand on the servers?

I understand it wasn't the log on activity that is the issue - clearly authentication was fine. It is the demand on everyone keeping the app running and thus constant communication updating the application data - shows, remote control status and so on and so forth.

I did probe given I run server & network infrastructure for a living and thus wouldn't take the first answer I was given as accurate - and I, like you thought that wouldn't directly make sense :-)

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 160 of 162 (39 Views)

mr_vpw wrote:

I understand it wasn't the log on activity that is the issue - clearly authentication was fine. It is the demand on everyone keeping the app running and thus constant communication updating the application data - shows, remote control status and so on and so forth.

I did probe given I run server & network infrastructure for a living and thus wouldn't take the first answer I was given as accurate - and I, like you thought that wouldn't directly make sense :-)

...which rather begs the question 'why not adjust the app so that it reduces data update while the app is in the background?'. 😀

0 Kudos