Menu
Well-informed
Message 1 of 34 (450 Views)

Stream buffering and stalling

[ Edited ]

After literally years of missing the football thanks to the "wonders" of the "award winning" TV Anywhere, I found an alternative source to watch that I could actually rely on. Unfortunately it seems Virgin Media have finally got wise to it & blocked my access there. I understand why they have to do that, but I do still subscribe to all the sports channels, so never lost any sleep as a result of using a (free) service that was actually capable of serving up what I was paying for when TV Anywhere simply couldn't.

Now I can no longer access that reliable stream, last night had I no choice but to watch the game on BT Sport via TV Anywhere, just hoping that things had improved from months ago when I finally waved the white flag on the service, which was a constant source of frustration, and VM's responses even moreso. (For years they'd point you to a link where you could report instances of buffering which their engineers could then happily laugh at and/or ignore)

Well, I guess there was some progress, in as much as I was actually able to log in when there was a big game on. But once the stream was "playing", it was the same old story. Loads of buffering, the stream stalling completely & the player disappearing. I missed most of the major incidents in the game as a result.

The link that used to be on this page to report such poor streaming is no longer here. Does that mean the buffering issues are fixed as far as VM are concerned (they clearly aren't) or simply that VM can no longer bring themselves to even pretend to care any more? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 34 (428 Views)

Re: Stream buffering and stalling

[ Edited ]

Hi Crockret, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with buffering and streaming. 

We're always making changes to improve the service and we've found that recent changes helped resolve most buffering issues. 

Do you get this at any other time with TV Anywhere or with any other channel? 

With regards to what you've posted here: Access Denied There was an issue we became aware of that was affecting our customers however this has since been resolved. If you try again to log in, it should work Smiley Happy 

Can we remember to keep all questions, queries, reports, comments regarding one service on one thread. This way you can get an answer to everything the same time. This also reduces the amount of threads needing an answer and thus helps us get to you quicker Smiley Happy 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 3 of 34 (423 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do you get this at any other time with TV Anywhere or with any other channel?

I've no idea; as I said I've given up on trying to use TVA on a regular basis. My Kodi box is much more reliable, it was just packed away for a few days while I was redecorating. I've tried to use TVA twice in the last month it & hasn't worked on either occasion, which only serves to underline my point. Your continued line that recent changes helped resolve most buffering issues is simply dismissive, and doesn't help me in the slightest.

Access Denied There was an issue we became aware of that was affecting our customers however this has since been resolved. If you try again to log in, it should work.

Yes I can log in now. I've no interest in using it now. A sometimes service is useless when it doesn't work at the time I need it.

Can we remember to keep all questions, queries, reports, comments regarding one service on one thread. This way you can get an answer to everything the same time. This also reduces the amount of threads needing an answer and thus helps us get to you quicker.

I made three posts on three completely different subjects. I really don't know what you want. It sounds like you are suggesting that entire "TV on the go" section of this community should be a single thread? I sense that if I were to do that, I'd be instructed to start my own thread rather than hijacking someone else's.

Thanks as always for the "help".

Well-informed
Message 4 of 34 (398 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm still waiting to hear how we supposed to report instances of buffering, stalling, skipping and repeating, of which TV Anywhere is awash this evening.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 5 of 34 (379 Views)

[ Edited ]

CBS Drama via TV Anywhere in browser has been skipping & repeating constantly for 5 days now, rendering it completely unwatchable, even for goldfish.

Plays ok for about 30 seconds after which it's just another perfect waste of time.  Well done.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 34 (347 Views)

Re: Stream buffering & stalling

Hi Crockret, 

Thanks for updating the thread with some examples of when you're getting these issues. 

I have passed these over to the team for them to investigate Smiley Happy

You can report any issues you have as a user on one thread. We would only ask you to make multiple threads if they are unrelated topic wise. If your queries are all to do with TV Anywhere, you can post them on one thread you've created. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 7 of 34 (342 Views)

So, to be clear, you want me to keep posting here, putting the thread constantly to the back of the queue. Then you might see it & feedback to the team in a week or so. How wonderfully proactive

I just fired up CBS Drama. Still unwatchable.  How many years has TV Anywhere been running now and you still can't get the basics right?

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 8 of 34 (330 Views)

Tried watching CBS Drama from 6pm this evening. Buffering badly, every 30 seconds or so. Stream stalling & transport disappearing about every 5 minutes. When it went at 6.35pm, the stream wouldn't restart. Nearly 2 hours later, it still won't start.

Just tried CBS Drama again. Still skipping back & forth, repeating some sections & skipping others.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 9 of 34 (309 Views)

[ Edited ]

2+ weeks now, CBS Drama still skipping & repeating on both devices.

Still unwatchable. Great.

e2a: Now Eden is doing it too.  iPlayer again then...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 10 of 34 (296 Views)

Hi Crockret, 

We have been rather behind lately but we are catching up and it's not taking us nearly as long to reach threads now Smiley Happy 

As well as this, as I am working with the TVA team, whenever I get an update on this I can search for your thread and update you right away. 

The latest is that we have noticed a higher than usual number of reports that can't be linked with the customer's home network or equipment however the overall reports for those using the online platform went down. This may well be raised as a known issue however there are a few platform reports that coincide with reports already made so we're trying to get these things fixed which should then resolve the buffering issues too. 

The team are looking in to the overall root cause and will be making changes to resolve this but need to check this against recent work that has already been done.

Can you continue to report any issues with the following information:

Channel name /number

Time of incident

Platform viewer watching on : Online/iOS/Android

If online, which browser

Device type: PC/Mac/tablet/phone

Once I know more, I will be in touch. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos