Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_Retired

Re: Device detection has timed out. Windows 7 OS with IE9

[ Edited ]

sandyspanner wrote:

I got mine working!

I have a Virgin Media Super Hub router, I disabled the firewall, then ran the device detection on TV Anywhere and it found my device, I registered the device and was able to view live TV.

Only problem is it stopped working again as soon as enabled the firewall again !!

That's great sandy!

I assume you mean the firewall on your Super Hub? Do you have your Super Hub firewall on Low, Medium, or High?

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Bizarre57

When my Super Hub was installed, I was not given any instructions about a firewall.  Can you please give some details on checking the settings?  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_Retired

Hi Bizarre,

You can go into your Super Hub's settings by typing 192.168.0.1 in your browser. From there you will be able to see what the Super Hub's firewall is set to.

Additionally, you may have a software firewall on your computer which could be causing issues. Do you have any anti-virus software installed?

Thanks

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
sandyspanner

Yes, if I set my Super hub firewall to High or Meduim the device detection times out! When I aet the firewall to Low it detects the my Tivo device straight away. Not really good to lower my firewall settings to get Tv anywhere, bad design in my view!!

Come on Virgin Media find a proper fix for this or you will be losing me to Sky!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
conwayg

I can confirm, the standard superhub setting is "Medium" for the firewall. This blocks the device registration.

If you login to the hub by putting 192.168.0.1 in the URL address bar of windows explorer then the username is admin followed by the password printed on the back of the router (your supposed to change this).

Then click Advanced Settings.

Under Security click Firewall

Then by Firewall Protection click the drop down and select low

Click Apply

Then click Sign Out (top right)

Now close all the explorer browsers. re-open your browser and go to Virgin TV Anywhere, settings and wallah you get it.

Its very awkward, I have now fully subscribed to a new AV supplier and am using this to monitor and provide some means of protection.

Strange how I didnt find anything about this anywhere in the forum or advice on setup.:catsad:

Please use plain text.
Bizarre57

KierenAris wrote:

Hi Bizarre,

You can go into your Super Hub's settings by typing 192.168.0.1 in your browser. From there you will be able to see what the Super Hub's firewall is set to.

Additionally, you may have a software firewall on your computer which could be causing issues. Do you have any anti-virus software installed?

Thanks

Thanks for the information Kieren.  I have checked the firewall settings on the router as instructed and they are set to Low.  The only AV installed is that provided by Virgin Security.  I have the Widnows Firewall turned on so tried turning that off but it made no difference, I still get the device detection timeout errors.

:-/

Please use plain text.
Bizarre57

Bizarre57 wrote:

KierenAris wrote:

Hi Bizarre,

Thanks

Thanks for the information Kieren.  I have checked the firewall settings on the router as instructed and they are set to Low.  The only AV installed is that provided by Virgin Security.  I have the Widnows Firewall turned on so tried turning that off but it made no difference, I still get the device detection timeout errors.

And then all of a sudden it springs into life!!  Why???  I have changed nothing!  Did VM do something on their side?!

Very very odd....

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_Retired

Hi Bizarre,

I'm really glad to see this is working for you now. Let me know if you have any more issues. :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
sandyspanner

Kieren

I still don't think Virgin Media have done enough here!! We are having to lower or firewall setting in order to get it to it work, that's ridiculous!!

I feel like we being fobbed off here, in my view lowering the firewall settings to get it to work is just a workaround, not a solution!!

Please use plain text.
Bizarre57

Bizarre57 wrote:

Bizarre57 wrote:

KierenAris wrote:

Hi Bizarre,

Thanks

And then all of a sudden it springs into life!!  Why???  I have changed nothing!  Did VM do something on their side?!

Very very odd....

It worked the once, that's all.  Since then, nothing but device timeout errors.  

There has to be something wrong, yes?  So many people with so many issues suggests the fault lies in the system, yes?

Please use plain text.