Menu
mainbrace
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

websafe and youtube

I use websafe as I have young kids, I have blocked youtube, but it's only blocked on my computer - their ipods can still access it. Why is that, and how can I block it?  Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: websafe and youtube

mainbrace wrote:

I use websafe as I have young kids, I have blocked youtube, but it's only blocked on my computer - their ipods can still access it. Why is that, and how can I block it?  Thanks

Ensure they're using VM DNS (not any other DNS) and connected to your home network (not another network.) VM DNS servers are 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100. Setting them to auto-get DNS will assign the correct VM DNS by default.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Mummember
Just joined
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar issue with Apps. I have blocked the web address for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook messenger etc... But that does not block access to the apps?

How does one sort this out?
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

mainbrace wrote:

Ensure they're using VM DNS (not any other DNS) and connected to your home network (not another network.) VM DNS servers are 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100. Setting them to auto-get DNS will assign the correct VM DNS by default.

>Shelke : it's not that simple. android tablets have google data saver, amazon tablets have somethign similar in Silk browser. requests go to their proxies and thus still get served.

example. In my superhub 1 I have clickbait like outbrain.com taboola.com and api.taboola.com listed as blocked domains. That works fine on all devicea until I enable google data server on my android tablet  and thenthe click bait is still served to my tablet, as it comes as compressed data  from a goole proxy which the router allows through. Ditto for silk browser on fire tablet with cliud features enabled. I don't use websafe but I would bet that it can't detect what's in the compressed /proxied  packets either.

you tube has much foul language in comments, you can block comments with browser add ons on PC, but ( unrooted) tablets will let everything through.

it is also the case that many apps get their data in encrypted format  one reason why ad blocking is not trivial

if I get bored enough I may attempt to block all the m***rfu***er * language in my various youtube apps but I think it will be a challenge- so would blocking all teh explicit language videos ( which is 50+% of the charts nowadays - tha'ts from using browse -> charts on spotify and seeing how many songs have *Explicit* tags.  I dunno how google implement age ratings on video or where all that stuff is at in respect of pop/rap video

ah- a quick google says that youtube now has it's own parental controls - would need more stuff to see what devices that works on... and whaether ot works on comments as well as content..

http://www.safesearchkids.com/youtube-parental-controls/

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote

>Shelke : it's not that simple. android tablets have google data saver, amazon tablets have somethign similar in Silk browser. requests go to their proxies and thus still get served.

example. In my superhub 1 I have clickbait like outbrain.com taboola.com and api.taboola.com listed as blocked domains. That works fine on all devicea until I enable google data server on my android tablet  and then the click bait is still served to my tablet, as it comes as compressed data  from a goole proxy which the router allows through. Ditto for silk browser on fire tablet with cliud features enabled. I don't use websafe but I would bet that it can't detect what's in the compressed /proxied  packets either.
That's interesting, thanks for the share @cybmole . I don't use Android devices for multiple security reasons, so wasn't something that I was aware of.

you tube has much foul language in comments, you can block comments with browser add ons on PC, but ( unrooted) tablets will let everything through.
One cool thing I noticed about YouTube (at least through a web browser) is that if you block youtube from being allowed to set cookies. The comment section never loads. So no potty mouth comments etc and no need to try absurd amount of blocking/parent controls ala YouTube. The down side is... you obviously won't be able to be signed in to YouTube. But the plus is, you can browse and watch videos to your content without ever seeing the comments.

So if I wanted to setup a kid-safe browsing experience of YouTube (through a web browser.) One aspect of that would be to block youtube from being able to set cookies, which takes commments out of the equation. Apps don't tend to offer cookie control though.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I detest you tube. I use it only as a guitar teacher because I can look up stuff that students are interested in, & that's when I notice the trend to  explicit lyrics and even more explicit comments. there's far too much really nasty  stuff  in comments that I'd rather not be showing on-screen when students mum arrives to collect student!

It's bad enough trying to teach the songs to under 16's given some of the current lyrics. I am extremely broad minded but I do wonder if some parents have any idea what their kids favourite songs are about e.g. I cite the ever popular Ed Sheeran's A Team from a year or so back which is describing a crack addict prostitute dying of an overdose - nice tune 'n all but how many parents have clocked what "And in a pipe she flies to the Motherland, Or sells love to another man" is describing.

& that's before we even get to whatever drivel is today's kiddies favourite: genuine recent example: OK ( young student) what would you like to play this week -  "can we learn  I took a pill in Ibiza please, and then Me Myself and I  (Say "f**k y'all" to all of y'all faces)". Thankfully I'm retiring soon Smiley Happy

Rant over - back to you tube: Being signed in is essential in order to maintain playlists & it s now tied into the rest of the google world, so there's no easy way to have my own google account for chrome settigns and bookmarks but with a separate throwaway account for youtube only; and they keep changing the interface so I spend more time googling how the latest UI for playlists works ( or does not work) that i do actually watching stuff

0 Kudos