Menu
Thwaker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 upgrade line slower than 152 or even ancient 100Mbps service

Ive been with Virgin for many years... and always on the highest tier available.. which has served me well, apart from the occasional issue it's pretty much been as advertised.

So when Vivid 200 finally became available in my upgrades a couple of weeks ago, I took the upgrade. Now my cable service is unpredictable - sometimes during the day it will hit 150mbps, when I call the call center and they test it (and my IP address somehow moves to a new segment during the testing) it will hit 180Mbps. When it reverts to normal service (Modem mode connected to an R7000 running DD-WRT) it drops very low speeds in the evening, in fcat slower than the 50Mbps service of many years ago !

Anyone else having / had issues ? Is it possible to go back to VIVID 152 - Happy to pay less for a slower service that actually is faster .... The level of inconsistency is bad.

5637553767.png

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 upgrade line slower than 152 or even ancient 100Mbps service

Hello Thwaker

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with slow speeds at times, we will take a look.

The area peak traffic seems to of picked up a bit recently and is approaching our threshold for escalation, apologies this may impact your speeds at peak times, we will continue to monitor the situation. 

The cable did not change when you upgraded by the way, your IP address will change when a different client MAC is presented to our DHCP server eg a different device is connected to the Ethernet etc, although this may have slightly different routing that will only be from the CMTS onward and the most likely cause of slower speeds is area peak time traffic on your segment.

We will continue to keep an eye on the area traffic.

Please give us a call if you wish to discuss changing your package 150 or 0345 454111

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
pridding
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thwaker,

I posted the following on another thread earlier:

This is interesting because I have reported an inappropriate speed issue earlier today. I have recently been testing my download/upload speeds as I haven't done it since the upgrade 200Mbs a while back. I am getting almost exactly half what I should be for both i.e. 100Mbs download and 6Mbs upload. It used to be 150Mbs and 12Mbs before the upgrade, at least that is when I believe this started. I am on a wired connection using the hub in modem only mode with everything at 1Gbs in my home network. I have performed the tests at different times during a 24 hour period and the results are always the same.

The Virginmedia support person said it was because my hub doesn't support 200Mbs and would send a new one, but couldn't tell me why the upload speed was now only 6Mbs and why it would not at least 150Mbs like it used to be.

I doubt the new hub will make any difference and that there is still something fundamental wrong like I am not on the correct scheme despite what they say !

Paul

0 Kudos
CJFLUX
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yup get this problem every day. To find one of the Virgin numpty's comment "Sorry to hear" Just like Nicola did...

They honestly don't give two ***** about their customers, they're like a disease spreading when they come for their cash, but complaints, technical problem and faults etc. It's just not an issue for them.  

0 Kudos
Thwaker
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's six months on from this problem ... and it has never improved, in fact its got worse and worse .... now we hit a HUGE 7mbps from 1400 to 0200 which is a massive 3.5% of the package bandwidth! Ive learnt to live with the speed drop, but worse over the last few months the speed has dropped to sub 16Mbps a second for 14hours a day combined with Massive BufferBloat which results in additional latency in the 1200-1900ms being added to packets (That's 1-2 seconds !!).

These are all easily provable as I have a SamKnows box sitting next to my router - so at least all these stats are public.

Capture.JPG

The Blue Line is Speed, The Yellow bars are BufferBloat (peak latency above average) .. This is From Friday afternoon till yesterday midday. Basically the line is usable 0200 - 1400 weekdays, not usable Weekends or after 1400...

I'm guessing no one proactively monitors segments and the CMTS for peak capacity issues anymore ? .As Six months of planned congestion would appear to be a little extreme...

Calling support is useless as the India call centre have a script and will not deviate (reboot modem, revert modem to router, reboot, "ohh it's broken", ill schedule and engineer visit...), I have many engineers come to visit who say "theres nothing wrong it's just contention" - as if this makes it ok - Apparently we pay a premium price for a premium service which is not available or usable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thwaker,

Apologies for your ongoing issues with peak times speeds. This has now been flagged up to Networks, fault ref: F004842376. 

A network upgrade will resolve the capacity issues but we are currently waiting for the necessary pre-upgrade work to complete first and this will be reviewed on 12/04/2017.

I shall pass your details over to a team who will provide updates on this for you. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get this matter progressed for you.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Thwaker
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh few weeks of ok-ness (80-90Mbps at peak !) now normality returns...

VM_speed_APR.JPG

So once more we shall follow the support script..

Reboot Modem, Revert to Router, retest, engineer booking for sometime in June ...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thwaker, 

Thank you for getting back in touch, and for the information provided. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

Are you having trouble wired or wirelessly or both? 

It may help to take a look at Virgin Media Broadband traffic management policy

Let us know how you get on. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connect a PC to the modem mode port and run some speed tests.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

0 Kudos
Thwaker
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

It's not LAN connectivity, everything is connected on 10GE, 1GE or AC2600 and all those are performing well. my router has a backup LTE connection which it automatically fails over to when there are issues on the cable connection. (The fail-over is often triggered by very excessive bufferbloat when latency spikes to seconds)

When using the LTE modem everything reliably reaches 40-60mbps...

The line is back to reasonable so something did change...

I'll update again if it drops down again.
0 Kudos