Menu
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 slower than Vivid 100

Hello,

I live in area (HP3)  which has been plagued with a utilization issue for years, and it has finally been fixed - my 100mbps service is now consistently at that level. Given that the problems appear to have been sorted, I thought I would try "upgrading" to the 200mbps service. What a mistake!

Since moving to the "faster" service, my speed has gone down!

How on earth can this be? I know they are going to say "its UPTO 200mbps", but surely the UPTO 200mbps should be faster than the UPTO 100mbps service? Otherwise, why pay the extra money just to get a slower speed? For the odd occasion that the speed is a little bit faster?

HMMMMPPPH!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 slower than Vivid 100

Hello jra505,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're getting, I know it's disappointing after upgrading.

What averages are you getting when you perform speed tests with an Ethernet cable? Does peak time make any difference to your results?

Please get back to us so we can continue to investigate.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

On average, during busy times, the 200 mbps service is 30 mbps slower than the 100 mbps service. That is because the 100mbps service is actually achieving 100mbps, whereas the 200mbps service is only achieving 70mbps.

Surely, the 200mbps should be at least as fast as the 100mbps service? Not slower.

This was measured using an ethernet connection.

jra505
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jra505,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I appreciate this must be frustrating and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

The test you completed through Ethernet, was that direct to your router or direct to the Hub? If so, are you able to try whilst the Hub is in modem mode please? As this will eliminate other devices connected?

If you are using your own router, has it got any QoS settings that need to be changed by any chance?

Is the PC/laptop you are using got a gigabit LAN card and are you using a Cat 5e or above Ethernet cable?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

As it happens, it does now seem to be OK- I think the issue was with the speedtesting website I was using (http://testmy.net/auto). When I use www.speedtest.net I do apparently achieve 200mbps.

Do you have a recommended way of testing speed?

Thanks,

jra505

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey there jra505,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Good to hear that you've tested a much better speed now, we also advise using speedtest.net as it's reliable.

Thanks again for keeping us in the picture, let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos