Menu
redmadders96
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin advertised speeds a lie and a joke

I have been given the 150meg increase now and thought oh yes here we go.

Ran a few broadband speed checks to see I am very lucky to get anywhere near 50 meg and 10 meg up and those figures were at around 7am in the morning.

I know you say "upto 152" but this is a complete lie and a joke. I used to get peed off with Sky's broadband speeds but at least they don't false advertise about speeds. Something needs done about this as my speed is well under 1/3rd of what you say I can get.

Big joke

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
bromham
Superfast
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin advertised speeds a lie and a joke

redmadders wrote:

No the speeds were done on a Wi-Fi connection.

I have ran several tests at different times of day and night and the most I can honestly say I have had is about 43 mbps.

It really is a mystery why its so slow.

There's no mystery here and it's rather unfair to blame Virgin.  The speed you'll see in practice is limited by the slowest part of the link, and in your case that's the WiFi connection.  43 Mbps is a normal speed to achieve on 2.4 GHz WiFi - this technology isn't capable of much more.  As has been suggested, you'll need to connect a PC with a gigabit Ethernet interface directly to the SuperHub with an Ethernet cable to be able to measure the real maximum speed of your connection.

All Replies
bromham
Superfast
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This is an example of the infamous "up to" qualifier!  The duplicitous advertising industry discovered some time ago that a significant proportion of the population interpret "up to" as meaning "what I should expect", whereas the plain English meaning of "up to" is any number between 1 and the figure specified.  Which of course, makes any "up to" advertising rather insulting.

A rather more honest advertising yardstick would be to publish percentile figures: 99% of customers achieve this (low) speed, 90% achieve this (slightly higher) speed), 80% achieve this (higher still) speed, etc, etc, to perhaps 1% of customers achieve the maximum speed.  It's not likely anyone will do this unless the ASA makes them.

VM is more honest than ADSL suppliers in that it's technically possible to achieve VM's advertised speeds whereas it's impossible to achieve headline ADSL speeds.  I'm one of the fortunate customers who usually sees a genuine 150 Mbps download speed but I don't know how common this is.

redmadders96
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ping time 76 ms
Download Speed 35.09 Mb/s
Upload Speed 10.13 Mb/s

Results from Broadband Speed Checker on a 152 mb/s connection................what a joke
0 Kudos
bromham
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just as a matter of interest, are those speeds with your computer connected directly to the VM Superhub via an Ethernet cable?  If not, it would be worth trying that to exclude other factors that may be slowing data transfer speeds.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Frustrating as it is VM are in compliance with the ASA regulations on advertising of broadband speeds. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi redmadders96,

Welcome to the community, though sorry to hear that your connections speeds are not hitting the expected headline rates, disappointing news.

I've run a number of checks on your service from this end and both your Superhub and local networks segment are reporting back in good shape, so the slower speeds are something of a mystery.

As bromham has queried, are the speed tests performed via a wired connection directly to the Hub? Are the slower speeds apparent on more than one device?

Speak to you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
redmadders
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph,

No the speeds were done on a Wi-Fi connection.

I have ran several tests at different times of day and night and the most I can honestly say I have had is about 43 mbps.

My computer is relatively new and I keep it clean and spam free etc. All drivers are upto date as well.

It really is a mystery why its so slow.

Regards

Craig

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Which SuperHub do you have?

Use the 5Ghz WiFi network if you can. Not all computers/devices support it and you may need a USB adapter if yours doesn't, but it offers the best chance of getting full speed over WiFi.

0 Kudos
redmadders96
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi cje85,

I have the superhub2 and it is dual band but my desktop Lenovo doesn't allow me to connect on the 5Ghz band.

Could you recommend a reasonably priced 5Ghz usb adaptor??

Many thanks

Craig 

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried a speedtest when directly wired to the SH? If not then get that done as that will hopefully show what the max you'll be able to get is. Be warned though, if the network card in your laptop is on a 100Mb type then you'll hit the max at around 90Mb but you've said it's a fairly new laptop so should hopefully have a Gigabit network card.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos