Menu
andrewglass3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Improvement Works Moortown Area Leeds Yesterday - Speed Worse!

Hey guys

So I use my hub3 in modem mode, I am also on the homeworks+ 300Mbps package.

Yesterday virgin carried out so called improvement works in the area.  Since then during none peak times my speed has dropped for close to 300Mbs down 20 up to an avg of 80Mbps down and 20 up.  Last night during peak time I only got 8Mbps down and 3 up.

This is horrendous!

Ive tried restarting all my equipment, nothing inside my home has changed.

Please help, as a Linux systems engineer I sometimes have to work from home and these speeds are unbearable.

Cheers

Andrew

0 Kudos
andrewglass3
Tuning in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Improvement Works Moortown Area Leeds Yesterday - Speed Worse!

So an engineer has been tasked with coming out on Sunday between 12 and 4pm. Lets hope they can fix it.

0 Kudos
andrewglass3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The engineer came out and said your signal levels are fine.

Theres nothing I can do.  So what I dont understand is, prior to the "improvement works" on January 12th my speeds during offpeak hours were 280 to 308 down and 17 to 20Mbps up.

Now Im lucky to hit 140Mbps down!  Im really unhappy with the level of service virgin are providing.  Im paying £82 a month for my tv which has nothing of interest on and the 300 Mbps Homeworks package as I have to work from home quite often.

I would like something done about this please.  I would like the engineers to revist whatever cabinet/s they were at on the morning of the 12th (my connection went down at 0930 - (I received my first email alert from my remote server that my access points were down at 0934) and check the work they have performed as they have done something wrong.

Why pay for the top tier of service when I am bearly getting the 100Mbps service?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

0 Kudos
andrewglass3
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

ps still during peak times im lucky to hit 8 or 10Mbps down - its driving me potty.
0 Kudos
R5oss
Up to speed
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same area, but my connections were down this morning (Mon16th), returning by lunch time. I had assumed my 50Mbs service was eventually going to reach the promised (dreaded) 70Mbs upgrade.

But it's still running at 50/3Mbs, thankfully.

0 Kudos
andrewglass3
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Its the stability thats getting me.

Heres a speed test look at the speed its all over the place

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 19.35.30.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Potentially been put on another line while they upgrade a location?

Would explain the sudden congestion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
andrewglass3
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

How can they put me on another line? I didnt realise they could do this with Docsis?

I pay for 300Mbps - I never break 140Mbps now

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hey andrewglass3,

Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for the speed problems you're experiencing.

I've just checked and I can see the fault in your area under ref: F004403024 is still on-going and is being reviewed on the 22/2. While this is on-going you might notice intermittent slow speeds, especially during peak time hours (evenings and weekends).

Please keep in touch with us so we can provide progress updates.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
andrewglass3
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Heather 

That fault ref and its not a fault, its Over utilisation aka your company is greedy and has signed too many people up and therefore cannot provide the service it promises anymore and this has been ongoing since October 2015 when I moved into the property.  I was on the 300Mbps Homeworks+ package from November and I was getting relatively decent speeds (ping and latency is naff) around 300 in off peak times dropping to 70 or 80Mbps during peak times.

However after the so called improvement works on the 12th in the area, no matter what time of day it is I cannot break 140Mbps.  It never goes above - your company even sent an engineer out and he said your levels are fine, the local engineers may have introduced more noise on the line as a result of their works. Theres nothing I can do.

Its unacceptable.

Now I appreciate it takes time to gain planning permission from Leeds City Council to lay more cables etc however nearly 18 months later and its only getting worse oh and the latency on the network with this hub3 is appalling - you sold a product with firmware issues that were know of.  Im seriously looking at Sky instead.  Yes the connection is only 50Mbps but at least the connection would feel snappy.

Im very unhappy. Sorry to be the grumpy customer but I have lost all confidence in Virgin Media - its not your fault Heather, its your network management and sales directors fault.

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos