Menu
LeeJ79
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded to 100Mbps, only getting 35-48 Mbps

Hello helpful community.

This week my upgrade from 50Mbps to 100Mbps was completed. I was working away from home when I received the email saying it was complete. now I am back home I was keen to check my speed.  Using speedtest.net showed download speeds of around 35-48 Mbps (mostly around 40Mbps). These tests were carried out in peak time, so I wasn't expecting the full 100Mbps, but the speeds I am getting are no more than what I was getting at peak time on 50Mbps! Upload speeds is around 6Mbps.

Had a nose around virginmedia.com, looking for details of average speeds etc, and stumbled across this http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds.html which suggests I am on the 100Mbps package (based on upload speed of ~6Mbps), but peak time download speed should be in the region of 80-90Mbps.

I've rebooted router with no noticable difference to the speedtests. Ping is around 12-15ms.

This is the speedtest from 17 Feb 2017 23:00

Capture.PNG

Grateful for any assistance in getting what I am paying for!

EDIT: These are my Down/Up status pages from my SH 2ac:

Down.PNGup.PNG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgraded to 100Mbps, only getting 35-48 Mbps

Are you testing wired or wireless?

If wireless try wired directly to the hub.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that VM site as they are quoting average speeds, local areas con be over subscribed causing slow speed during peak times.

0 Kudos
LeeJ79
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Did a wired test today, Mon 20 Feb 17 @ 13:45. Speedtest.net says speed is Down: 94.32 Mbps / Up: 6.29 Mbps.

Repeated test over wifi (same computer) @ 13:55.  Down: 48.36 Mbps / Up: 6.28 Mbps.

Wireless is 2.4GHz, and I'm sat within 5m of the router in the same room. Will try some different wifi channels to see if it helps

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What wireless adapter has your PC got? You may be hitting the limit of the Wifi adapter's capabilities.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

LeeJ79
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wireless adapter in current laptop is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260, although that's not the issue.  

Having changed a few wireless settings, even back to original settings I can now see speeds of between 80-97Mbps (even saw 105Mbps once!).  I don't know which setting has changed it, but I now can get over 50Mbps (it seemed to be capped at that before).  I'll check again this evening 19:30 - 23:00 and see what wired/wireless speeds I get.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

0 Kudos
LeeJ79
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tested this evening between 22:15 and 22:20

WiFi = Down ~80Mbps / Up 6+ Mbps

Wired = Down 100Mbps / Up 6+Mbps

Looks like I need to keep tweaking wifi settings until I find the sweet spot and/or identify/eliminate any sources of interference; in the meantime I'll use wired for any heavy usage stuff on my laptop (HD movie streaming, RPi/Linux distro downloads).  Sky+HD (sorry!) and 2 PlayStations (3&4) already on a wired connection.

0 Kudos