Menu
stayloa
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Throttling query and Vivid 200 Gamer question

Hi there.

Is it possible to check if and how often my account has been traffic managed over the past couple of months on my Vivid 200 package? We've had several periods (although not consistently) of very slow speeds. I had some downloads maxing out at 200kbps a second last night and was unable to open Virgin Media websites at all. The speed reductions seemed too severe to be traffice management, although I'm keen to know what my usage is like anyway.

Secondly, I am considering Vivid 200 Gamer. Does the traffic management exemption apply to P2P traffic too or would traffic slowing still apply? I can't find the details of what traffic slowing is applied to P2P on my current package either, so would like to know what the policy is.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Throttling query and Vivid 200 Gamer question

You've been throttled 0 times on the download. VM do not throttle the download.

However you may of been subject to peak time utilization which is a completely different thing.

Gamer package removes the throttling on the upload BUT I can't confirm if it effects p2p. Sorry I can't help in that regard as I know p2p gets treated differently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The VM traffic managment policy is here:

http://www.virginmedia.com/traffic/

I would not be surprised if P2P traffic was still throttled on the Gamer tier as it (along with Usenet traffic) has always been treated separately from other traffic, but I haven't seen any official confirmation one way or the other.  Most ISPs manage P2P traffic at peak times.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
ricocchet
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am on this Vivid Gamer 200 package, and have registered on this forum, in the hope that a senior ideally member of the Network team will be able to help, before I send a high level complaint to Tom Mockridge, OFCOM and the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority).

I have been using Newsgroups for the last 20 years, I have signed up to Giganews and Newsleecher, totally different providers using different servers, it is the same regardless of whatever port I use,with SSL or without, whichever server I use, I have even used 70 connections in my News Client, still the same 25MB/s in the daytime, as soon as a particular time in the evening arrives, the speed plummets, usually around 5pm - 12pm.

Now I have contacted both my newsproviders and I will be obtaining bandwidth graphs that will prove that VM are throttling my connection, every single evening, and they claim there is absolutely no traffic management on my connection.

When the speed plummets on Newsgroups, I conduct a HTTP speed test and the results are full speed 200Mb down, 20Mb up, so this proves without a shadow of a doubt that VM are implementing traffic management on a service they advertise as no STM!!

I do not know how they are shaping Newsgroups, as I have tried Port 80,81 with SSL and without, they must be implementing this throttling by IP address.

I had the Homeworks 300Mb package and had exactly the same issue, never once reached full speed on newsgroups in the evening, not once, but again in the daytime reached full speed all the time, again when this speed reduction kicks in I do a HTTP speed test and full speed, so that proves there is no issue with over utilisation and it is in fact traffic management.

I have been a customer of Virgin Media for 20 years, but now this is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth, and all I get from Customer service is your connection has never been traffic management, its not their fault this issue lies with the network team.

I look forward to some kind of response from Virgin Media before the email gets sent to Tom Mockridge, OFCOM and the ASA.

The most annoying part of this is I am being lied to, with the claims that it is a totally STM free service when in fact it is not.

Network team please take a look at these IP addresses for the News server.

C:\Users\> nslookup eu.newsleecher.com
Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

non-authoritative answer:
name: eu.geo.newsleecher.com
addresses:
aliases: eu.newsleecher.com

and as If by magic my connection has plummeted now to less than 10MB/s........

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

To be blunt on some points (not to be rude im just ill so can't be bothered faffing)

Emailing Tom will do nothing, it will go to the secretary who will pass it back down the line / use the same system every other operative that it would normally go to for checks & dates. People have tried it all before and got the same answers.

OFCOM would be the same, they are toothless. CISAS would be the way to go in regard to complaints.

SCA has said they throttle usenet traffic in peak hours, both of giganews/newsleecher fall under usenet traffic from quick searches. So that is why. This matches what you say. Now I personally don't know what either is (or even usenet) so can't comment why but that's what it is.

Only the forum team read and respond to the forums. The network team do not however so you won't get a message from them.

EDIT: tell a lie, you can use the email to tom as the start of a formal complaint (needed with CISAS) so it has use since VM removed thier email complaint system.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

ricocchet
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Vivid Gamer is advertised with the following, VM even state they will NEVER slow me down......cant advertise a service as having no STM and then throttle some protocols, ie Usenet in this case.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/vivid-gamer.html

2016-10-14_16-33-09.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ricocchet 25MB/s (25 Megabytes per second) = 200Mbps or was that a typo and you meant 25Mbps?

This issue has been raised before and still remains a bit of a mystery to me, assuming of course it is not just getting megabytes and megabits mixed up.

When it gets reported I run a test and usually get good speeds. I've just done a test and downloaded 6.3Gb from a newsgroup in 5 mins 53 seconds at an average of 18.1 MB/s (as reported by SABnzbd), with peaks in excess of 22MB/s.  I'm not using Newsleecher or Giganews, but I believe my provider is a UNS reseller the same as Newsleecher.  I usually can get the full 25MB/s (200Mbps) at off peak times.

If your slow speeds are a result of STM then it is not being implemented the same for everybody, or the same for all USPs.

As far as I know VM have always been open about managing P2P and Usenet traffic differently from other traffic at peak times, just like most other ISPs.  My understanding of a service free of STM is one that doesn't reduce upload speeds for all traffic if too much data is uploaded in a short amount of time which is what happens on the tiers with STM.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
ricocchet
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello Scott, thanks the reply.

Not a typo, in the daytime 25MB/s (200Mb) which is what it should be, 4pm -12pm the connection speed plummets to 5MB/s currently, its soo obvious that there is some traffic management, on a connection that is sold as completely free of STM, this just isn't true.

I then connect from another connection 1Gbps pipe on a dedicated server to the same newsgroup server with exactly the same ports and settings as my VM connection and that maxes out a 1Gbps connection, so that rules out any issue with the news server.

VM are investigating at the moment, so I will give them their dues, the people I am speaking to are trying to help.

This shaping is either implemented via IP address of the newservers or is explicitly applied to just myself or the local subnet.

There is definitely some foulplay somewhere.

I was originally on Homeworks 300Mb package and that was exactly the same full speed in the daytime, evening, never achieved full speed not once in the evening from the VM line, but my dedicated server would happily be downloading at 1Gbps from the same news server.

Very annoying after being a customer with VM for 20 years, this is really getting annoying now, the reason I downgraded to Gamer 200 was because of the claims that there was absolutely NO STM on any protocol whatsoever.

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the porridge here, Usenet user since it was invented, yep back in the good ole BB days where the Usenet wast born, same tier (gaming) but my speed only drops between(ish) 10am to 5am the next day (good between 5am - 10am (weekend not a chance in hell), that's because it is in a high utilised (oversubscribed) area, I believe you would be in the same boat (Ocean Liner) as the rest of us (10's of thousands(ish)) VM are trying to fix things but the share holders want more pocket money.

Follow the complaints procedure that VM set out, gather as much evidence as possible from thinkbroadband and speedguide.net before hand and wait for the 8 weeks to end, then follow VM Complaints procedure.

Follow their rules

Good luck, it does work, because I have done it with results Smiley Happy

I still have review dates, its still not fixed, and its been two years over now.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
ricocchet
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Bartman,

It is frustrating, and if my area was having overutilization issues this would be reflected on a HTTP speed test, they are coming back as 200Mb down and 20Mb up, which is perfect.

This just reinforces the fact that there is some shaping and management happening, if it wasn't soo obvious, it wouldn't be soo annoying, perhaps its misconfiguration of the network in my area?

No STM is pretty black and white to me, they are basically saying there is absolutely no traffic management on the service I am on, a false claim, well certainly on my connection anyway.

Heres a traceroute just for my own reference, I await the callback from VM.

1 1 ms 1 ms 4 ms 192.168.0.1
2 14 ms 17 ms 16 ms cpc15-heme11-2-0-gw.9-1.cable.virginm.net [82.19.6.1]
3 20 ms 29 ms 22 ms lutn-core-2b-ae5-2549.network.virginmedia.net [80.4.221.217]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 34 ms 29 ms 30 ms tele-ic-8-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.224.94]
8 42 ms 29 ms 29 ms m398-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net [213.104.85.142]
9 63 ms * 130 ms 1-7.r2.fr.hwng.net [69.16.191.54]
10 64 ms 64 ms 64 ms 81.171.116.78
11 54 ms 56 ms 62 ms 81.171.118.148

0 Kudos