Menu
Kieran23
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This is getting ridiculous. BAD speeds.

I have never had such a problem with internet as I have had with Virgin Media. After being a long loyal customer its now reached to a point where its not even worth logging onto my pc to do anything. Currently on the 150mb package and during peak times I will not get over 1mbps download speed. Ping is constantly in the range of 500-1200 during evenings making everything unplayable.

We have been told countless times that theres high utilisation in the area during the timespan of roughly 15 months and its only got worse. We are fed up of phoning up to get read a script to us, its almost at the point that I can recite it, you're not hiring are you by any chance?

So we're going to give it one last shot and upgrade to the vivid 200 gamer package, if there is no change then ill be looking for other providers.

I am experiencing these problems in the (01) Area - Liverpool for any of those interested.

Need a forum mod asap to discuss my options.

Rant over.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: This is getting ridiculous. BAD speeds.

I'm in St Helens and have had awful peak time speeds for 23 months so completely understand your frustration. Upgrading is unlikely to help if network congestion is the problem, but there are currently much needed upgrades taking place in parts of Area 01 so fingers crossed you may notice improvements soon. 

Is your speed OK during the day?

0 Kudos
Kieran23
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

150 mb broadband150 mb broadband

0 Kudos
Kieran23
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Speeds are completely fine during the day. After 4pm no point even turning my pc on until midnight.

0 Kudos
Jayzy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Same here I'm in the Liverpool area (01) too and currently getting 0.82 and paying for 100mb!
Been like this for the past few weeks for no reason what so ever.
Why should I be paying for 100mb for not getting the service.
VM wouldn't like it if we decided to give them £1 for a 100mb connection.

Edit: during the day it seems a decent connection mainly of an evening/weekend
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kieran23
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

To be perfectly honest, the speeds I am getting now is not even worth that.

0 Kudos
Kieran23
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Bumping for visibility.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When the forum is so full of over utilization threads, bumping a particular one doesn't really do anything for visibiliity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Kieran23
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Great advice, glad you took the time to reply. Was almost worth reading.

kelly1175
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

We are in the same boat and have been for a long time, we were advised of an initial fix date of 9th November when i first complained about poor speeds in August 2016 (its been an issue longer but i didnt complain before!) I was offered a discount of £12.50 a month off the 200mb package by way of compensation until the issue was resolved. Of course the 9th November came and went and the speeds remain the same. I called virgin again to query this and to also find out why the 12.50 discount had been removed. I was told the issue is not going to be fixed now until 29th jan 2017. Obviously i was disappointed to hear this so asked to be cancelled, i was put through to retentions and as a result my bill was credited with the full amount due for the month (£49) i was satisfied that i was compensated. Another month passed by a new bill generated for the full amount. So once again i called virgin to query this, again vigin media agreed to apply credit to cover the bill. Tonight i have checked my bank account and discovered that virgin debited my account for the full bill amount despite credit having been applied to the account which covered the full bill. I called virgin media and spoke to a chap in the Teeside Call centre who firstly told me that if i wanted to cancel then i would have to pay the 8 months worth of remianing contract (depsite never having recieved the guaranteed wired network speed). I am aware of the terms and conditions of the contract and i also reminded the agent of these - needless to say he stopped with this scare tactic. I made enquiries with regards to when the issues are going to be resolved and was told the same information as i had previously been provided with. The agent said he found it hard to believe we were only recieving 5/6mb speeds on average as we have used 300gb in one month (not sure how that can be correct but who are we to argue!) i was then informed that previous discounts applied to my account should never have been applied and that no further discount can be applied. Which personally i find appalling as rightly or wrongly virgin have set a precedent by way of wiping bills as a form of compensation for diabolical internet service. I eventually got virgin to cancel my service after all most an hour of being told that no other internet service provider can compete with their speeds and that i would need to pay up the remaining 8 months on my contract. I feel virgin are ripping off customers by signing them up to packages with speeds they cannot provide. I am on the Wirral in area 20.
0 Kudos