Menu
rogerthat123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Speed problem in East London

Dear fellow users,

I've got a really weird issue. Prior to upgrading to the Superhub 3, we were able to maintain a solid 144mb with 10mb upload. Recently, we've upgraded to the 200mb package and everything seemed to have been going fine.

However, I noticed something really weird. I'm using Superhub 3 Modem mode > TEW-733GR Router. For some reason, even though the TEW-733GR was capable of outputting the full 144mb speed, it can only do 50 mb/s now.

Here is the weird part, the upload speed is higher at 12 mb/s. I'm fairly certain that the new Superhub 3 is somehow limiting the maximum speed per ethernet port. To test this, I've even used Router mode, and low and behold.

It only outputs 50 mb/s for each Ethernet port. Could someone help me? Thanks! P.S. I've tried testing download speed via Wireless and Wired on a i7 4770k/GTX 970 Gaming PC, have tried restarting both devices, turned off QoS on the TEW-733GR. I can only get 50 mb/s. I'm certain it's nothing to do with my end, and most certainly something wrong with the SH3.

Will I have to buy a new Router? Or is there anything better than the Superhub 3 available at this moment from VM? I've noticed I'm not the only one experiencing issues with the SH3. I really want my new speeds, and this is worrying me. Why are all the Superhubs so bad? I remember the 2AC being notoriously bad with dropping Wireless clients constantly.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speed problem in East London

I know of a few issues the Hub 3 has but limiting Ethernet speeds to 50Mbps is a new one on me.

Were you using the same Ethernet cable for all your testing?  Sometimes a damaged cable can limit speeds.

If you have tested your cable on other kit or tried a different cable then you could try a full pinhole reset of the hub to see if that helps.  If it doesn't help then the quickest option is to call VM and report the fault.  You won't have to buy a new hub as you only rent kit from VM and they are responsible for repairing or replacing any faulty kit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I know of a few issues the Hub 3 has but limiting Ethernet speeds to 50Mbps is a new one on me.

Were you using the same Ethernet cable for all your testing?  Sometimes a damaged cable can limit speeds.

If you have tested your cable on other kit or tried a different cable then you could try a full pinhole reset of the hub to see if that helps.  If it doesn't help then the quickest option is to call VM and report the fault.  You won't have to buy a new hub as you only rent kit from VM and they are responsible for repairing or replacing any faulty kit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

rogerthat123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help, I shall try this.

0 Kudos
rogerthat123
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No luck, I've tried this and it doesn't help.

I'm REALLY puzzled why I'm only getting 50 mb/s?

I am 100% certain it is VMs fault. I'll ask for a new Router.

0 Kudos