Menu
Gibson945
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Speed drops + high ping

I live in Brighton on Milner road. I am suffering more and more frequent drops in speed from 70 to 1/2 Mbps. The ping also shoots up to thousands. Is there a fault with the whole area or perhaps our router?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drops + high ping

Hey Gibson945,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems with your connection, I know this can be frustrating.

Can I ask if you're using a wireless or hard-wired connection when you have these problems? Does this happen on multiple devices or just one? Lastly, do you notice speed deteriorations at certain times of the day / night? Please get back to us so we can continue to investigate.

Have a great weekend,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Gibson945
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply

This happens on a wireless connection on all devices, seems to be worse on the floor above the router.

Speed does seem to deteriorate mid to late evening - so roughly 8-10pm.

Thanks again

Xavier
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I suspect that wireless is key here, as my tests of your connection are revealing no faults with either the Hub or the network segment to which it connects. Peak time Internet usage is incredibly low so there's definitely no congestion related problem.

I would like you to connect one of your devices to the Hub via Ethernet please so that you can monitor it's connection and determine whether or not the performance is more stable.

Also please try the advice offered in the below links to our help page articles:

Ideally a wireless router (Hub) should be placed in a central position. Is it possible to move your Hub or does the length of the coaxial cable restrict mobility?

It might be worth considering getting something to extend your wireless signal - take a look at our powerline option available in our online shop (though can be purchased elsewhere if preferred).

Keep us updated Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Gibson945
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Tested through the ethernet barely drops. Maybe once a day but that's normal. We have tried all the methods suggested already, changing channel, moving the router as far as possible, we have wireless extenders as power line isn't an option in our house.

Cheers
Xavier
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Xavier,

Just for clarification - are the disconnects evident when using the Hub's wireless directly, without the WiFi extenders?

And, have you reset the Hub back to factory settings? If not please try and let me know if that makes any marked difference.

Thanks, 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Gibson945
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yep speed drops are evident when connected directly to the router.
And reset did not make a noticeable difference.

Cheers
Xavier
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying that Xavier, at least this rules out any WiFi specific issue. Despite re-testing your connection I am still unable to locate a cause for your disconnections. So I think the best thing to do next is to ask an engineer to take a look at your connection. 

Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos