Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9 (240 Views)

Speed Boost ? Where did it go ?

Hi Folks !

I'm a new customer with Virgin Media - Broadband Vivid 200 only, no tv, no phone - after just leaving BT Infinity. My installation happened on the morning of the day we left for a 2 week holiday on 18th August - seemed to be lightining fast that day.... but didnt have time to check.
Came back from hols and got back on wifi. Checked speed and was getting around 57Mbps. 
(Using Speedtest.net)

Big banner on Virgin site about getting a speed boost - clicked on that, restarted and bang ! 10.30pm Area 12 - 160 Mbps !

Wow ! Well happy !

BUT - yesterday & today - not getting over 30Mbps ?

Not happy at all - how do I get back to the 160Mbps ?

thanks

Mr GMan

Accepted Solutions
Super solver
Message 2 of 9 (417 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by MrG-Man
3 weeks ago

Re: Speed Boost ? Where did it go ?

It's pot luck with wireless, that's why no ISP guarantees its performance.

To get a true picture of what's being delivered test it with a wired connection using a device with Gigabit Ethernet.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9 (341 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by MrG-Man
3 weeks ago

Does your laptop support gigabit ethernet? 94Mbps is pretty much spot on for a 100Mbps link speed. You can confirm this by right clicking the network icon in the task bar by the clock, going to the network & sharing centre then clicking on the Ethernet link under active connections. If the reported speed isn't 1.0 Gbps then that's the problem.

Given that a number of those laptops sound like they are running at 802.11n 1x1 wireless speeds, it's likely they probably don't have gigabit ethernet either. Unfortunately your computers are probably holding back the speed Smiley Sad

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Super solver
Message 2 of 9 (418 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by MrG-Man
3 weeks ago

It's pot luck with wireless, that's why no ISP guarantees its performance.

To get a true picture of what's being delivered test it with a wired connection using a device with Gigabit Ethernet.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9 (208 Views)

Here's a thing !
Just reset Hub - retested on HP laptop via wifi - still 38mbps.

Just had an idea, downloaded the Samsung app - made sure I was connected to WiFi and tested on the mobile - 169.56 mbps down & 12 up.

Tried a different Samsung laptop : 57mbps

Tried a different Lenovo work laptop : 26mbps

Is this the devices rather than the supply ?

Just off to buy an ethernet cable to connect directly to hub.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9 (199 Views)

As stated by HiVMBye, VM will not guarantee any wireless speeds.

They will also ask you to speed test wired connection, using Gigabit connections to the Hub whilst in Modem Mode.  

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9 (189 Views)

Thanks. Whats Modem mode ? 

Just plugged in an ethernet cable and retested  - 94 mbps. 

A bit disappointing on Vivid 200 ?

Is there any setup or installation or anything I can do ?

Mr GMan.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9 (342 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by MrG-Man
3 weeks ago

Does your laptop support gigabit ethernet? 94Mbps is pretty much spot on for a 100Mbps link speed. You can confirm this by right clicking the network icon in the task bar by the clock, going to the network & sharing centre then clicking on the Ethernet link under active connections. If the reported speed isn't 1.0 Gbps then that's the problem.

Given that a number of those laptops sound like they are running at 802.11n 1x1 wireless speeds, it's likely they probably don't have gigabit ethernet either. Unfortunately your computers are probably holding back the speed Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9 (161 Views)

DarkBahamut,

Spot on - just been checking and you are right  - the ethernet adaptor is limited to 100mbps - which is frustrating.

The Wifi adaptor can support 200mbps  - which is good I suppose - but as many have said - Wifi is very temperamental.  

I'm encouraged though, because for 2 days I had 160mbps on Wifi on this laptop, and my Samsung mobile is reporting 170mbps

looking to improve Wifi then ......

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9 (126 Views)

Apparently Solved ! 

Wifi - 170Mbps

Ethernet Cable 94Mbps. 

The problem isn't whats coming into the Hub from Virgin - it's how my devices handle it. Fortunately I have laptop with USB3.0 

So - bought a CAT6 cable and connected with that  - an immediate jump to 90 Mbps - the limitation here is my ethernet adaptor which is 100mbs. Just bought a USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adaptor on Amazon - that should boost ethernet up near 200mbs. 

Then remembered I already have a TPLink USB 3.0 Wifi adaptor - popped that in and bang  ! Straight in at 170Mbps ! 

Happy again.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9 (77 Views)

USB 3.0 to Gigabit adaptor gives 6593551726

happy again !