Menu
Jacesp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed

Speed test 20.10.16Speed test 20.10.16

This is getting ridiculous.  Paying for 100mbps, latest speed test says I'm getting 3.2.  No wonder the streaming on the Fire Stick keeps buffering.  Virgin site says there's no problems in the area.  What's going on? I know its compromised by using wireless rather than ethernet, but the router is in the same room as the TV, about 6ft away in fact and about the same distance from the laptop I have done the speed tests on.  This isn't good enough.

0 Kudos
Madpanda
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed

Hey. U are lucky not but you are. I pay for vivid 200 and im getting 0.6 mb for at least the last 2 going on 3 days now. They are totally loosing the plot. I am use my mobile wireless internet thats 9. Sumat. So I do feel for you. Lets hope its sorted soon because id rather pay for a lesser connection speed and it be more reliable. Hope your connection is sorted soon x

0 Kudos
Jacesp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

With all devices switched off except the iPad.  At midday, on a weekday!  Some chance of "up to" 100mbps!

Still shocking resultStill shocking result

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jacesp,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to see that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've managed to locate your account, the line and hub have come back as fine. The network segment is running stable with no errors.

Are you able to complete speed tests through a wired connection please? As through wireless there are so many factors that can cause interference that will have an impact on your results.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jacesp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

Well its been a while.  Still struggling with the wifi, but today I did a couple of tests, one with ethernet cable and one with wifi.  Speeds are showing as much better bit I'm still not getting the coverage that I have had in the past.  I've tried moving the router to various places in the room to no avail.  I've turned off every gadget that uses WIFI, except for essentials like the mobile phones, although I shouldn't have to go to that extreme as its always worked well before.  Streaming from my amazon fire stick on the lounge tv is patchy at best - router is in the lounge.  Upstairs I have a nowtv box connected to the bedroom tv and cannot get bbc iplayer or any of the main tv catch up services to stream without buffering to the point where it says there's a problem, check your internet.  Using a nexus tablet upstairs with youtube is now impossible to use, and very slow to load any web pages.  Have I done something to damage my hub, afffecting the range that I'm getting indoors?

Tests today

Ethernet 88.38

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5779732926

wifi 41.07

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5779740746

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jacesp,

Hope all is well. Thanks for getting back to us and sorry for the late response.

As you mentioned the speeds look much better which is good.

In regards to the coverage, have you tried changing the wireless channel to see if that will improve the connection?

Does the buffering happen at all times of the day or just at certain times? Do your devices connect to the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz and does it happen on both networks?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos