Menu
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Slow for me too

As a few others have mentioned... my speeds have been slow recently. I pay for the 200mbps connection but very rarely get it. The last few days I've been jumping between 16Mbps and 50Mbps... generally hitting 35-40.

I have tried numerous reboots, wireless ac, wired, modem mode with a TP-Link Archer C9 and none of them are achieving appropriate speeds. Here are the screenshots of my router - is there anything out of the ordinary there?:

VM_Downstream.pngVM_Upstream.pngVM_Log.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow for me too

The T3 timeouts are out of the ordinary and probably needs an engineer visit to carry out further investigation as to the cause.  You can try calling them or wait for the forum team to get to this thread, which may take some time.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for the reply. I'll try ringing them as I need a new TiVO box anyway!

0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have been told that there has been some work undertaken which is due to be completed tomorrow (Friday 6th).

The reason was that they were installing extra lines to cope with a potential over-utilization problem. It makes sense, but she also said it was protecting the cables from burning out so I'm not entirely convinced.

Only one more day, let's hope she was telling the truth!

0 Kudos
Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hahahaha, I feel sorry for you, honestly I do, you genuinely have an once of faith for VM.

Be prepared to receive a new review date that is couple months away because further work is needed.

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You're right - I was a fool to believe them :/

SiKi
Up to speed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mcgaz wrote:

You're right - I was a fool to believe them :/

Your not a fool at all!! Your an honest hard working customer paying these thieving,dishonest and scamming balloons.. They are no different than them con artists that call to scam you out of you hard earned cash with promises of a service that have no intention of supplying..

Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried the think broadband test and here's what I got. Clear evidence of over utilisation. Not good :/

c00138c7fb4445a0201b7b9ff22bf70b-10-01-2017

0 Kudos
wonko
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've got BT coming on Friday to install Infinity 2.

At least they guarantee a minumum speed.

I feel bad for recommending Virgin to friends and family. They are all also now getting terrible download speeds.

Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I also recommended Virgin to my sister and she's had really slow internet and Tivo so it didn't work out for me either :/

I've been told that a utilization problem was highlighted last week (by me?) and they are due to actually complete the works by April 19th. The guy offered a discount up to that date before I'd finished asking the question. It was about £10-12/month.

My exchange is an old NTL one that requires the upgrade and he says it should improve over that time as they do the work over time.

So I'm going to trust that they can do this and hope for the best.

I might look into short term providers of the internet as the ping and packet loss is not good at the moment and 3 months seems quite a long time away.

0 Kudos