Menu
CeeJayCee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Slow evening speed in Area 11 (EH14)

Joined VM two months ago on 50 mbps package.

Just moved in to the property so only just started using the broadband. Daytime speed fine, evening speed is very very poor (less than 1 mbps!). This happens every evening.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow evening speed in Area 11 (EH14)

Hi CeeJayCee

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003320079 and with a review date of 21st September.

Are you able to complete speed tests through a wired connection at different times of the day to see if the speeds differ and post a screenshot of the results please?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

CeeJayCee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I eventually phoned customer services after not getting a reply here. They told me about the utilisation fault - originally scheduled to be fixed on 14 September and now pushed back.

They stated this was definitely a "fix date" and not a "review date". They stated the engineers were on site. Is this rubbish? Can you confirm what is actually happening?

We are only in evening and weekends, therefore this broadband is completely unusable and not fit for purpose. If this is not fixed we will be looking to leave.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Evening CeeJayCee

Thanks for getting back in touch.

In regards to the high peak time traffic fault, these will have review dates rather than fix date as they can be subject to change due to the work that is required to improve bandwidth. This can include implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc. which require planning permission.

I know this can be frustrating to say the least and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
CeeJayCee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Still having problems.

Other threads on this forum suggest that the "review date" has been pushed back to November. That is ridiculous.

This is a graph from the last 24 hours - unusable broadband after 3pm until midnight!

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media
snod01
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I live in Area 11 CVD . Have had this problem for almost a year now, used to be ~20mb in evenings , now ~ 2.5mb in evenings. Have spoken to customer services many times over this period. Have a complaint registered. Now when i speak to customer services they are happy to let me leave, no guarantee work will ever be done never mind when they say. Very frustrated. Like the latency graph.

snod01
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Problem is referred to as 'High utilisation issue' . Doesn't seem to affect all equally , when i use a neighbours wifi also on virgin it is ~25mbs when mine is 2.5mbs. All with this problem are entitled to compensation. I have been told that in this case it is £7.50 or half of my broadband cost each month. Told this will all be paid when problem is solved but not sure i will live long enough to cash in so have prized this amount of them on several occasions as a pacifier. If we all do this maybe it will get a higher priority ? 

CeeJayCee
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I spoke to customer services on the phone yesterday. They were happy for me to cancel. However, I've signed up for the line rental saver with 10 months left which they won't refund. They gave me the £7.50 refund, dated until 2nd November (the date they suggest it will be fixed by).

The lady I spoke to said if it wasn't fixed by November I could maybe negotiate a refund on the line rental saver. She also agreed that since Virgin knew about the fault when I joined in July, they shouldn't have sold me a 50MB package if they weren't able to provide it.

Our evening speed is quite often less than 1MB with frequent time outs, which is useless. The graph in my previous post has changed for some reason, the graph below is a snapshot of a peak period. I was getting 0.87MB/s during this time.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

snod01
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Are you also on currievale drive ?

0 Kudos
Schottky
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Same situation here in same locality. It has been getting progressively worse over the months to the point where it now regularly hits under 1M in the evening.

I certainly would not advise anyone to touch VM BB at the moment because these problems seem to be widespread with little sign of imminent improvement.  How VM can legally sign up new customers while they are fully aware of the problem is a mystery to me. I also see reports on these forums where people say the problem is fixed only to deteriorate again quite quickly and return to endless meaningless review dates.

I have been on the phone to VM and have very little hope of improvement any time soon, certainly not by the new November date.  I got a little off the bill for a couple of months but to add insult to injury I have been told I have to phone each month the fault continues to get any more.  Pointing out that VM will know when the problem is resolved got a verbal shoulder shrug.  With the obligatory period of on-hold music this is obviously designed to discourage further reductions. A typical example of  VM total contempt for customers.