Menu
Toon3r
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow connection on ethernet and Wifi

We got Virgin Internet a few weeks ago and we are paying for 200 Mb/s and on my PC I getting around 14 Mb/s, this is using both WiFi and a power line adapter (which is limited to 300 Mb/s), getting the same speeds on both. On my apple devices next to the router I am getting around 120 Mb/s which is a lot better, and understandably when we go upstairs, further away from the router, they reduce. However my PC is still on less than 15 Mb/s. I have tried a lot of fixes, but nothing has been successful. Can i get some help on what do. According to virgin support it's nothing on "their end". 

Thanks

- James

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow connection on ethernet and Wifi

Hey James,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're experiencing, initial checks are coming back as normal, so we will need to explore further. I'd like you to put your Hub into Modem Mode and test your network with your device hard-wired from the 1st Ethernet port.

This will show us what speeds are reaching your modem so we will know where to take this next.

Thanks for your patience,

Talk soon.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Toon3r
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the slow reply, been away

Tried the modem mode, hard wired. Getting about 90 Mbp/s, this was the same as in router mode. Using a Macbook, even far away from the router i am getting 200+ Mbp/s so it's something to do with the internet on our windows devices as next to the macbook they are getting 2 Mbp/s wireless, compared to 200! Anything else we can try

-James 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi James,

Thanks for getting back to us.

In regards to the speed test you completed in modem mode was that through your Macbook or on one of your windows devices?

Have you tried to update the drivers on the windows PC/laptop?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Toon3r
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We did the tests on modem mode using several devices, including the Macbook as well as the windows devices, the results were the same as in router mode for all devices. Have checked multiple time and drives are all updated, and they are. I also have tried using a wireless archer but they just worsened speeds (slightly). I have also used multiple different power line adapters and Ethernet cables and all provide the same result (proving the power line adapter or the Ethernet cable isn't faulty). Any other solutions? 

James

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello James

It does sound like you have been busy. The wired speed of 90Mbps may be because the Ethernet is only negotiating a 100Mbps connection rather than 1Gbps, this may be indicated as an orange LED by the Ethernet port on the hub rather than green. Also if not done already please use www.speedtest.net leaving the default server to measure speed as this will stay on our network.

We have a wireless guide that may help Getting the best WiFi Signal although to be honest you may of covered some of it already.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos