Menu
GemmaK23
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband for almost 2 months!!

I live in the NE10 area and have had pretty crap speed for a while now. I pay for upto 50mb but I had an email about 2 weeks stating that I had been upgraded to 'vivid 100!' Makes me laugh because I can't get above 3mb at the best of times never mind 100. I've been on the phone countless times to be told to rest my router, blah, blah, blah... that I now refuse to do it when I call them because it doesn't bloody work! I'm constantly told by someone in a foreign call centre that it will be fixed by such and such a date but it never is, they just add another month on when I ring them back about it. I left Sky for the same reason. They broke their contract by promising speeds that I couldn't get and that's exactly what Virgin are doing. I asked for a discount on my bill and they gave me £4.49. I pay £32.99 for just phone and broadband so I'm not happy with that neither. It also happened around 6 months ago and an engineer checked my connection outside my home and said that the cables were corroded and needed replacing, yet no one has been to do so. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this sorted?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Parki79
Rising star
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow broadband for almost 2 months!!

Remeber to use the fault  number to claim back credit each month for loss of service. Insist this is done automatically as this is likely to take years to resolve and during this time it will deteriorate week on week and become even more unusable. If you look through the forums you will see hundreds of examples of this as it is something VM are famous for. They have very little interest in resolving these at the moment. If you are able to it might be worth looking at alternatives which will be more suitable in the evenings and weekends. 

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi GemmaK23

I would definitely heed parki79's advice and claim your loss of service credit which is credited to your account each and every month that you experience loss of service. If you have been upgraded free from 50 to the up to 100Mbps tier the credit should be around £7.50 per month. 'High demand for our services' actually translates to 'too many customers on an oversubscribed network meaning it cannot cope with the demand placed on it'.

If you could only achieve 3Mbps at peak times on the 50Mbps tier you will only ever get 3Mbps even if you were on 200Mbps!!!!

Do not listen to the scripted replies from the foreign call centres, F003655365 for slow speeds at peak times has been ongoing since at least may 2015. and the latest date of 17th August 2016 is simply another review date. It is not a fix date.

You can either ask a Forum Team member to put a note on your account stating contention reference F003655365 to facilitate this or ring in for the credit quoting contention fault F003655365. Do not let the call centre put you off with fictitious fix dates.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
Roboj0
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Gemma

Another NE10 user here with same problem since February. Call centre told me they were reviewing in May, now August. Fobbed off with the same patter/contention reference each time I phone and a half a**sed promise of a £7.50 reduction that seems to get applied intermittently.

Absolutely cheesed off-ping speed 511ms and speed of 2.59Mbps at the minute. Useless-no point in using Netflix/Prime. Only thing stopping me moving is I remember when it was good and wishfully thinking it might eventually get sorted. (Plus Sky users over the road have rubbish speeds as ). If you do hear of anyone local with a better/faster provider-let me know!
Thanks, Jo

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi GemmaK23,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you've been experiencing slow speeds these past 2 months. I appreciate you were expecting better from the 100Mbps package.

I've managed to locate your account to check this. There appears to be a high demand for our service in your area. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to support this. This is being investigated under fault reference F003655365. The next review date has been set for 17th August 2016.

I'm afraid I don't have any more information to provide. Our networks team are aware of this and are working towards a resolution but due to the complexity of the work needed we can never give a definite fix date.

I'm also going to send you a private message to discuss the engineer visit in more detail. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Remeber to use the fault  number to claim back credit each month for loss of service. Insist this is done automatically as this is likely to take years to resolve and during this time it will deteriorate week on week and become even more unusable. If you look through the forums you will see hundreds of examples of this as it is something VM are famous for. They have very little interest in resolving these at the moment. If you are able to it might be worth looking at alternatives which will be more suitable in the evenings and weekends. 

ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi GemmaK23

I would definitely heed parki79's advice and claim your loss of service credit which is credited to your account each and every month that you experience loss of service. If you have been upgraded free from 50 to the up to 100Mbps tier the credit should be around £7.50 per month. 'High demand for our services' actually translates to 'too many customers on an oversubscribed network meaning it cannot cope with the demand placed on it'.

If you could only achieve 3Mbps at peak times on the 50Mbps tier you will only ever get 3Mbps even if you were on 200Mbps!!!!

Do not listen to the scripted replies from the foreign call centres, F003655365 for slow speeds at peak times has been ongoing since at least may 2015. and the latest date of 17th August 2016 is simply another review date. It is not a fix date.

You can either ask a Forum Team member to put a note on your account stating contention reference F003655365 to facilitate this or ring in for the credit quoting contention fault F003655365. Do not let the call centre put you off with fictitious fix dates.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
GemmaK23
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

I do realise that during peak times there will be a loss of speed but 3mbps is a bit of a joke. I'd like to claim my discount due to this fault that the other forum users have said that I'm entitled to if I quote 'contention reference F003655365.' Can you sort this out for me please? I will also reply about the engineer visit.

Thanks.
GemmaK23
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Parky79,

Unfortunately I'm not sure that there is an alternative where I live. Sky are just as bad as these, if not worse! The only other company would be BT but I assume they would be using the same lines as Sky were and they were crap too.

Thanks for your help though. Hopefully I will see a credit on my next bill. Not that a few quid is compensation for the loss of service though.

0 Kudos
GemmaK23
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you ian-c. I haven't got much hope of them fixing it if it's been going on since 2014.
0 Kudos
Parki79
Rising star
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Likely to be many years, but if you get the credit back then at least you have something for your troubles.

Roboj0
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Gemma

Another NE10 user here with same problem since February. Call centre told me they were reviewing in May, now August. Fobbed off with the same patter/contention reference each time I phone and a half a**sed promise of a £7.50 reduction that seems to get applied intermittently.

Absolutely cheesed off-ping speed 511ms and speed of 2.59Mbps at the minute. Useless-no point in using Netflix/Prime. Only thing stopping me moving is I remember when it was good and wishfully thinking it might eventually get sorted. (Plus Sky users over the road have rubbish speeds as ). If you do hear of anyone local with a better/faster provider-let me know!
Thanks, Jo
GemmaK23
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roboj0

So far I'm getting a £10 discount each month but that still leaves me paying £22.99 just for broadband and line rental. It's a p**s take tbh. Someone recommended Talktalk but their speed is 2mbps. So far, I can't find a descent provider, so if you find one then let me know too.