Menu
coventryunistud
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds during peak times in Coventry

Currently living in a student flat with Virgin 80MB Internet...

It is usually fine most of the day (although sometimes we encounter slow speeds in the morning), however, between 5 and 11PM the internet is extremely slow, cuts out often and sometimes goes down for minutes at a time. Although the internet can reach 70MB download during the day, during peak times we see average 5-10MB with frequent cutouts.

Have called Virgin plenty of times but they fail to recognise the problem and have been unable to help, is there a fix?

Postcode: CV5

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds during peak times in Coventry

Hello coventryunistud,

Thanks for joining the forum Smiley Happy

Great to see new members!

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're experiencing. I've taken a look and I can see the usage in your area increasing at peak times as to be expected, but it's not exceeding our thresholds. Are you relying on your wireless or hard-wired connection? Ideally we would need to see speed tests results from an Ethernet connection.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
coventryunistud
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

All devices in the flat are connected by wireless, however, it's not an issue of ethernet connection or wireless connection, the internet cuts out completely (router stops providing internet) for minutes at a time, or becomes extremely slow on and off for hours on end. This always happens between the hours mentioned, and having spoken to a few different people at virgin we still haven't found a fix...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi coventryunistud,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

Just to ensure you're not being affected by wireless interference, I would recommend changing your channel. You might need to do this a few times to find the one that performs best in your environment. When you scan for your wireless network, do you see many other networks around out?

Catch up with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos