Menu
Shai88
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ofcom and ISPA investigating

I am extremely tired of whining, complaining and bit***** at your technical dep and I feel so sorry what they have to put up with and promised to be called back but it's obvious. Your company nothing but complete fraud. STOP Upgrading customers you have no desire to give the full service/speed at all 

I am even finding hard to type this up because Virgin has done nothing but to p*** me off saying they are improving service I do not buy this bull****. I appreciate your giving me credit but that does not resolve the problem itself.

My speed has been reduced 90% from 4pm to 11pm and even out of peak I still can't get the speed I am paying for. This has been going over 3 years and here's one of your team message that has responded to me just an e.g:

"I'm just dropping you a quick message to update you in regards to the ongoing issues with your broadband connection. The current fault F003983700 has a new review date of 26/04/17. As a result I have applied a credit to your account to cover this period for you.

" I'm just dropping you a quick message to update you in regards to the ongoing issues with your broadband connection. The current fault F003983700 has a new review date of 21/12/16. As a result of this delay I have applied a credit to your account to cover this period for you. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience this delay may cause you."

First of all, stop your lies and that is just a message cover up just like the way you're advertising your products.

Yes I know I am not only the person who has this problem and am sure they are postponing this issues to NOT to resolve. Even Ofcom and ISPA are currently investigating your company because of customer service issues.

Some of you guys are experiencing this issues and I can assure you i have been going like this for years. I recommend you move to another provider that's the only way they will get a slap and realise they are losing customers.

I am moving to Sky and giving my 30 days notice if you want to keep me, then give me that service that's all I ask if not then just proves my point this company just nothing but a complete garbage.

Here's the so call Fibre-Craptic Speed you're giving me

u95gp6R

0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ofcom and ISPA investigating

Yeh know what you mean, it's just get ridiculous lately, false promises, awful customer services...and so on, pretty much this problem is effecting most of the country, Ofcom/CISAS need to to drop a bomb on VR, their breaking their own contracts all over the place, their adverts on the TV are verging on fraudulent, there certainly false as they can't provide the service they are trying to sell.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Legally they are not breaking contracts etc as it's all sold as UP TO. Key words there, 'up to'. Not guaranteed speeds all the time, for that you would need a leased line which is costly. You could be lucky like many VM customers and live in less VM dense areas and get full speeds all the time, but you would never be guaranteed them.

Morally however, they are taking the Micky in some cases where they leave unusable internet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are breading ofcom's rules though, they know in my area there is an oversubscription issue and yet I am told there is no fault reference for this, it is just on some spreadsheet for work required.

Also this "upto" rubbish, you can say upto that's fine but when speeds drop multiple tiers below what you are paying for anyone can see that's wrong, they may as well say upto 10gbps if this is the case.

The ofcom rules also state they have to advise new customers of the speeds they will achieve yet new customers are not told peak time speeds will be near zero in some areas.

There are thousands of customers out there who won't even know they are getting poor speeds in certain areas as they don't use their connection to the fullest, I wonder what would happen if they found out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

"Also this "upto" rubbish, you can say upto that's fine but when speeds drop multiple tiers below what you are paying for anyone can see that's wrong, they may as well say upto 10gbps if this is the case."

They can't as the headline speeds need to be achieveable for at least 10% the customer base. (And the speeds are achieveable for all, just outside of peak times - so they have proof the line can handle it)

"There are thousands of customers out there who won't even know they are getting poor speeds in certain areas as they don't use their connection to the fullest, I wonder what would happen if they found out?"

Majority of customers don't use their connection to the fullest. That is the crux all ISPs use when building their network/upgrading parts. It is not financially viable to have full bandwidth available for every customer 100% of the time. If the customers in question don't notice poor speeds then you could argue it's working as intended, as theyvhave no problem with it.

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:
"Also this "upto" rubbish, you can say upto that's fine but when speeds drop multiple tiers below what you are paying for anyone can see that's wrong, they may as well say upto 10gbps if this is the case."

They can't as the headline speeds need to be achieveable for at least 10% the customer base. (And the speeds are achieveable for all, just outside of peak times - so they have proof the line can handle it)

"There are thousands of customers out there who won't even know they are getting poor speeds in certain areas as they don't use their connection to the fullest, I wonder what would happen if they found out?"

Majority of customers don't use their connection to the fullest. That is the crux all ISPs use when building their network/upgrading parts. It is not financially viable to have full bandwidth available for every customer 100% of the time. If the customers in question don't notice poor speeds then you could argue it's working as intended, as theyvhave no problem with it.

That's not what I meant,  people these days are looking to save any money they can, finding out they could save money from their BB provider because they are not getting that they paid for....

0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Actually legally as a provider they have to supply 40% of your contracted speed, and VM are aware of this, and I have personally have had that said on a phone call from their team.. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

That's a bit odd as I can't find any reference to that within the OFCOM Code of Practice:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/40431/broadband_speeds_code_june_2015.pdf

In fact the OFCOM acknowledge that not everything applies to all types of broadband:

Ofcom also notes that some of the principles of the Code are not relevant to all technologies used in supplying fixed access broadband services. For example, on cable networks, the access line speed is expected to be consistent with the headline speed. Other principles in the Code will apply to all ISP signatories, regardless of the access line technology.

and the only minimum speed requirement I can find in there doesn't actually apply to cable:

for DSL, FTTC/VDSL and fixed broadband delivered via fixed wireless services, ISPs must state the estimated access line speed range, the minimum guaranteed access line speed and, where provided by the ISP to the customer during the sales process, the single-point estimate;

nor does the 4th principle, which is where OFCOM cover 'minimum guaranteed access line speed' apply to cable technology:

To achieve this Principle, ISP must ensure the following:

a. Those ISPs using technologies such as DSL, FTTC/VDSL or fixed broadband delivered via fixed wireless, for which the access line speed can be lower than the headline speed must:

<snip>

Log the problem as a technical fault if the actual access line speed is at or below the minimum guaranteed access line speed, or if it is otherwise appropriate to do so. As soon as possible after the problem is logged as a technical fault, the ISP must tell the customer their minimum guaranteed access line speed and explain that if the technical fault cannot be fixed then the customer will have the opportunity to leave their contract immediately and without any penalty.

That's not say that there aren't obligations on Virgin Media to resolve issues with connection issues to a customer's satisfaction:

Regardless of the technology used, ISPs must:

i. Have a robust process for identifying whether the cause of the speed related problem is within the ISP’s control and, where it is not, to explain clearly to the customer the possible causes of the lower speeds and how such problems could be addressed.

ii. Where the cause of the problem is within the ISP’s control, to monitor the problem through to resolution or until reasonable remedial actions are exhausted or the customer is satisfied with the outcome.

but that's a different thing to saying that there is a guaranteed minimum speed that must be offered in the contract for cable technology.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Gopher04
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

So you believe that what is happening throughout the country right now on VM is exceptable??

That pretty much the majority or their customers are losing 90% of the their contracted speed everyday between 3pm and 12 pm on average, just happens to be that period day all the time, yes I know they use the excuse over utilized, but everyone at the same time, jeez we must all come home together, turn on the PC together, go to bed at the same time, and it also doesn't effect the upload speed in any form, and you see nothing wrong in that, or is it that someone has a red button and hit's it everyday?
Doesn't matter what the rules are they are failing big time, and they are falsely advertising, you have loads of new customers just on this forum alone that are still in their cooling off period leaving already because of this, you as a employee should be embarrassed.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The majority of customers are getting full speeds. This forum is a minority of the customer base.

Upload doesn't get effected by/like the downstream utilization as less people use the upload as much. And uploading tends to happen in bursts not a continuous use of service like streaming content.

Just because you may not understand how the whole infrastructure works (with every ISP not just VM), doesn't make your opinion of matters right.